PDA

View Full Version : Homemade coffee drinks

KatieMae
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I know we have lots of coffee drinkers on this board :poke You know who you are ;) What special coffees do you make at home that are as good or better than the coffee shop version? Even if you just add some store-bought flavoring, tell us what you like!

I'm hoping to get some ideas for my husband to save him the time, money & hassle of stopping for coffee on his way to work. They used to have a Flavia machine in his office & he got spoiled by it but they don't have it any more so we need a better option.

Waterlogged
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
my ILs have an expresso machine, so this morning I had a latte, but I added Hershey's lite chocolate syrup AND light peppermint flavored whipped cream. It was delicious. And I don't really like coffee....

WI Mama05
10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I :heart peppermint mochas. Like HEART :heart

I've found that, using my Keurig maker, a k-cup of newman's own extra bold, a good splash of peppermint mocha creamer and two packets of sweetner (comes in a green box, at a loss for the name ATM) makes one YUMMY cup! I really don't long for takeout coffe the days I make that. The other kinds of coffee I have don't cut it the same way.

:cup for more!

jenn3514
10-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I like adding pumpkin pie spice to my beans, then creamer or evaporated milk.

Ajani
10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I made this Gingerbread coffee syrup (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Billys-Favorite-Gingerbread-Spiced-Coffee-Syrup/Detail.aspx) last year. I'd add more ginger to it. In fact, I reviewed it and saidI made this for a dinner I hosted. I think I tripled the ginger, rather than mashing it or grating it as others suggested, because I don't have any coffee filters or cheesecloth to strain the sediment through. It's good, but the sweet to flavour ratio means that to get a good flavour in a cup of coffee, you need to have it pretty sweet. I need to play with it more. I am thinking of adding more ginger to it and then mixing some of the syrup with lemon and brandy as a cough remedy. Ginger, pepper, cloves and cinnamon are very healing.

I did use it as a cold remedy, and it was quite good, btw. :yes

Blue Savannah
10-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I cook sweetened condensed milk down to a caramel and keep it in the fridge to add to our lattes. :bag :yum

Starfox
10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I bought the caramel macchiato mix from the fridge in the store and YUM. It saves me $5 every day.:giggle

Mama Rophe
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I use our espresso machine to make mochas. Instead of using chocolate syrup I use a powdered chocolate milk mix. Just a spoonful, add in some steamed milk and a double shot of espresso and you have one good drink.

cbmk4
10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks great. I'm sure you could sub any milk substitute. I love pumpkin spice anything!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-pumpkin-spice-latte-recipe.html

cobluegirl
10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I buy the Stephan's Dark Cocoa Hot Chocolate and mix it with Instant Dark Roast coffee and it makes a wonderful Mocha

Blue Savannah
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
From an old thread. . . I haven't made these for a while. I have some pumpkin puree in the freezer. :yum

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showpost.php?p=1913715&postcount=31