PDA

View Full Version : QUICK!! Is cat spit bad for you??

AKCristyMJ
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Yes this might win weirdest topic award, Idk, but hey it's an emergency!!
My dc got cupcakes from church last night and unknown to me they were left out all night on the counter.
WEll guess who jumped up and licked quite a few of them?? grrrr yes the kittens did.
My kids are downright suicidal over it (uhm that's a joke btw ok?) and are sure if they eat them now they'll die of some cat disease.

So what do u think, is it safe for them to still eat the cupcakes?? It's not like dogs I mean the kittens probably barely licked the frosting once or so with tiny toungues, kwim??

And yes they've been dewormed fully and vaxed.

:help

And :ty for understanding ;)

Weezie
09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Idk, but I'm alive and well after many times eating something my cats have tried.:shifty

expatmom
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
:shrug3 If you are okay with the same tongue licking their bums & then your cupcakes. Their spit would be the least of my worries.

SilverMoon
09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I would throw it out, but that's me. I won't drink out of my husband's or kids' cups, eat off their plates, etc, either.
Like expatmom said, cats do a lot of cleaning with those tongues (and we have 3 boy cats. :shiver )

Zoesmama
09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
my darling kitten climbs on the end table in living room and drinks from my water glass sometimes and I just drank from it anyway(hey I spent 25 cents a gallon on my reverse osmosis water not letting it go to waste) and I'm still alive to tell about it. :) Many a glasses of water have been spilt in my living room by her so I have to be sure I don't leave them sit all night. I think, like dogs, their mouths are probably cleaner than our own. She just now at 11 months has started jumping up on the kitchen counter when I'm standing there. She is very nosy and doesn't like to be alone. She will wake up on the other side of the house to find no humans and you can hear her cry out. Its cute. I know once when I was outside doing something I could hear her tracking the house crying looking for me. AWWW

Now if its made for other people and if my child didn't want to eat it I may just throw them out or eat those ones myself.

Charlie U
09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I would toss them. I have a hard and fast rule that if an animal's mouth is on it, I won't eat it.

ThreeKids
09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Ask them if you could assure them it was fine, if they would still enjoy eating them. If the answer is "no", they are no good anyway.

Codi
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
The thing I'd be worried about is that cats dig in litter boxes (maybe not yours) and then lick their paws. I would have to toss them. :hug Sorry.

J3K
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd eat them. I'd let the kids eat them. I wouldn't serve them to others. (for the reasons above...some people squig out.)

GodChick
09-23-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd eat them. I'd let the kids eat them. I wouldn't serve them to others. (for the reasons above...some people squig out.)

Ditto.

jewelmcjem
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm a "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" kind of gal. I totally understand that most people are not like that. Personally, I'd eat them, and let my kids eat them. Then, I'd probably tell my kids after they ate them. But I'm weird like that.

Mama Calidad
09-23-2010, 11:07 AM
It would be home ec/cupcake baking day in my house, 'cause I sure wouldn't eat them. :no

Zooey
09-24-2010, 10:00 PM
This.
Honestly, cats are cleaner than we humans are.
Now, if it was a dog.....:sick.
Besides, cats & humans don't share the same diseases. As long as the cat is wormed & has had its shots, I wouldn't worry about it.:shrug3

Rabbit
09-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Cat mouths are particularly bacteria laden. Cat bites can cost you a hand from the resulting infection.

I'd just scrape the bite marks off, and call it clean, though.

Chaos Coordinator
09-25-2010, 02:07 AM
pretty sure my cat has drooled into my mouth. or sneezed into my mouth.

that being said, i wont drink after her when she iz in mah cup steelin mah chzbrgrz. :shifty

too bad you didn't get a pic of cupcake happy kittehz.

Johns_Gal
09-25-2010, 02:12 AM
This.
Honestly, cats are cleaner than we humans are.
Now, if it was a dog.....:sick.
Besides, cats & humans don't share the same diseases. As long as the cat is wormed & has had its shots, I wouldn't worry about it.:shrug3

I've had a toddler chomp into my back (yes, she had mad biting skills). I've had a cat bite my finger. Guess which one sent me to the hospital and I got loads of loopy drugs to recover with? :lol

I floss, use mouthwash, and brush 2+ times a day. My cat licks his nether regions and eats bugs, and he stopped letting me brush his teeth four YEARS ago. :lol

I honestly doubt it will make them ill, I've had a cat lick my mouth before and was fine (he was a bottle baby and had serious mama issues). But I could not eat after an animal. Just squicks me out a little much.

domesticzookeeper
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Cat mouths are particularly bacteria laden. Cat bites can cost you a hand from the resulting infection.

I'd just scrape the bite marks off, and call it clean, though.

Yeah, direct entry into the bloodstream is different than ingestion. I've shared food with my cats before (probably more often than I realize :shifty) I would just get rid of the parts that were obviously nommed on and not worry about the rest :giggle

Zooey
09-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, direct entry into the bloodstream is different than ingestion. I've shared food with my cats before (probably more often than I realize :shifty) I would just get rid of the parts that were obviously nommed on and not worry about the rest :giggle
This.:yes
And I usually know when I'm sharing. Miss Lily has no shame; she just takes what she wants.:shrug3

Being bitten by an animal, (and being bitten by a human) are another story. The bacteria from human bites, like animal bites, is truly :jawdropscary. Once you're talking teeth marks & brolen skin, you're in another ballpark altogether.

AKCristyMJ
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
yea and btw we all went ahead and 8 the cupcakes tiny-kitty-licked parts n all.
We survived. ;)
I think American fast food is scarier and more bacteria prone than my cats saliva but wanted to ask here just incase anyone knew of any direct risks w it, all I could think of was round worm but they've been thorougly dewormed already.
It's funny about the bite thing when I think of how many times ds bit my nipple and it got super infected and once my crawling teething dd1 just decided to suddenly chomp into my toe ooooeee did that sucker get super infected and thats w me not wearing shoes, or sock and taking a shower right after actually.
Can't recall a time a cat got me infected too and lol I'm typing even now w hands covered in luv bites and playful kitten scratches lol.
:shrug
was just worried and wanted to make sure it was atleast basically safe, although I'm not sure if live maggots on those cupcakes woulda stopped my kids wantin them LOL obviously you can tell they don;t get sweets around here much :P

Zooey
09-26-2010, 01:18 PM
yea and btw we all went ahead and 8 the cupcakes tiny-kitty-licked parts n all.
We survived. ;)
I think American fast food is scarier and more bacteria prone than my cats saliva but wanted to ask here just incase anyone knew of any direct risks w it, all I could think of was round worm but they've been thorougly dewormed already.
It's funny about the bite thing when I think of how many times ds bit my nipple and it got super infected and once my crawling teething dd1 just decided to suddenly chomp into my toe ooooeee did that sucker get super infected and thats w me not wearing shoes, or sock and taking a shower right after actually.
Can't recall a time a cat got me infected too and lol I'm typing even now w hands covered in luv bites and playful kitten scratches lol.
:shrug
was just worried and wanted to make sure it was atleast basically safe, although I'm not sure if live maggots on those cupcakes woulda stopped my kids wantin them LOL obviously you can tell they don;t get sweets around here much :P

Good to hear back from you!!:D

AKCristyMJ
09-26-2010, 08:52 PM
yea I shoulda clarified what exactly was my concern for you all, :sorry
I am well aware ofcource that animals lick their rears and step in their poop. Etc ;)
That stuff wasnt worrying me, :bag just any link w diseases or such before my kids dove into the cupcakes. Tho it was probably silly they or I was ever concerned as it really was just a small lick.

:ty3 all :hug

Amelia
10-07-2010, 06:50 AM
I would be willing to bet that if you do eat them, it would be totally fine. Yes, cat's lick all sorts of nasty places, but they also have saliva and "good" bacteria in their mouth that kills the bad bacteria...which is why THEY don't get sick from licking all those nasty places.

I can see how the idea would really ick someone out. But, I would eat them if I could get past that (and I'm not sure I could..but I would try.) Yum..cupcakes!