PDA

View Full Version : can we talk fondant?

mamaKristin
09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I'd like to start working with fondant for the cakes I make, I think. I know there are some recipes out there, but I need tried and true. I need tips. I need courage :shifty

Anyone?

:popcorn

Six Little Feet
09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
this is what I use

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1949/marshmallow-fondant-mmf

It really is trial and error though. It depends of the weather, humidity. I did succeed the first time but it got easier the more times I made it.

What colours are you aiming for..colouring is the trickiest.

Waterlogged
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
i've had really good luck with the marshmallow fondant recipe too. it's still finicky, but definitely do-able.

RiverRock
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
:popcorn I've wondered about marshmallow fondant...

RealLifeMama
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Yummy stuff!

allisonintx
09-19-2010, 06:58 PM
marshmallow fondant tastes yummy!

mountainash
09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I tried making regular fondant because I wanted it to be corn free for my son's bday. It was an epic failure. The marshmallow fondant seemed very easy by comparison.

This is the cake I made. :shrug3 Obviously, I'm no pro but it was pretty tasty.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/mtnash/27086_402612451390_531071390_535430.jpg

backtobasicsmum
09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I love, love, LOVE making and using marshmallow fondant! :yes

I use this recipe and instructions: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
and I have NEVER had a problem with it.

I've used both liquid and gel food coloring for it.

If you look in the hobby forum or on my facebook, the last baby shower cake (sweet pea) I made and the lizard cake for ds2's 6th birthday, were both fondant. Really, you should try it!

Macky
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Yup, marshmallow fondant all the way. (I still feel like it's cheating, but once you've tried an failed – two batches – with traditional fondant for your three-tier wedding cake, you choose a better road!)

All the MMF recipes are pretty much the same – marshmallows (be sure to use a scale), water and icing sugar (by weight again). Gel colour is best. Make sure to work in only as much icing sugar as you need and no more. I think this was where I went wrong in past attempts. If the fondant is too stiff, it won't mold around corners.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Macky77/DSC_1689.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Macky77/DSC_1165sm.jpg

mamaKristin
09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Robin - is that little E's birthday cake? SO CUTE!!! (the cake too ;))

raining_kisses
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
im glad i saw this thread. im going to skip regular and start with marshmellow.:nails

eta:i know its an old thread, i didnt feel like starting another.

momyshaver
10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
im glad i saw this thread. im going to skip regular and start with marshmellow.:nails

eta:i know its an old thread, i didnt feel like starting another.

Probably wise to go with the marshmallow fondant. I was nervous when I tried it out the first time but even with my clumsy attempts the cake turned out very decent. :yes

April G
10-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I love watching Anna & Kristina's Grocery Bag. Have you seen it? They try out recipe books and review the results. They recently did an episode where they tried out the Cake Bible recipe book and made a wedding cake. The fondant recipe turned out perfect. We have the Cake Bible recipe book and it's really good... :)

raining_kisses
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
whats the perks? is it easier to work with? just easier to make? how long before the party can i premake the fondont decorations for the cake? thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

thats weird april, your post doesnt have a thank you button. or a prayer one for that matter.:scratch

ive never heard of this recipe book...thanks for sharing. it the recipe for reg or marsh fondant?

April G
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Weird... :scratch

There are three different types of fondant in the recipe book. A glycerin one, a non-glycerin, and a chocolate one. She compares the chocolate fondant to the taste of a tootsie roll. :yum None of them call for marshmallows, so I'm gonna go with "regular" fondant... :) She gives lots of tips for handling it and making it perfectly, including how to dye the colours into it.

mamaKristin
10-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I :heart Anna and Kristina - I should check out that book.:yes

shekinah
10-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Okay, stupid question- are you actually supposed to EAT the fondant off of cakes? I assumed so, but the one time I tried it, it was awful and so incredibly thick with all kinds of designs layered on... I looked at other peoples' plates, and they were just eating the cake and leaving the fondant stuff on the side, not ingesting it. So, is it actually supposed to be an edible icing? Cuz every cake I have seen since with fondant, I have just declined having a piece, lol, cuz I dunno what I'm supposed to do!

Waterlogged
10-30-2010, 02:30 AM
the MMF is really really tasty. But IME traditional fondant is gross-tasting (though technically edible).