PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Dog Food

Llee
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
We have a 5-year-old mixed breed (Chow & ?shepherd?) dog, about 40-45 pounds, depending on the time of the year. :)

For a long time, we were doing Nutro, but after perusing different dog food sites, it doesn't seem to be a good bet. We switched to Wellness, which she scarfed down as soon as I put it down. But even just doing the recommended amount (well, a little over), we'd go through a bag quite quickly. Then we had some bills come in and needed to drop all expenses we could.

I've tried her on Beneful, which she HATES. I've tried Purina, which she tolerates. BUT, she has leg problems and limps a lot more noticeably when eating this.

So we need something for a medium dog that's not Beneful, that doesn't cost way too much, but has the glucosamine for her leg.

Now that I've written a book (sorry!), any suggestions?

Llee
09-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Bumpity bump!

Please? Running out of food and I don't want to get the wrong food. Again. If you don't have any suggestions as to a good type of food, at least steer me away from the worst. :O

Amber
09-16-2010, 11:10 PM
First, I wouldn't go out of my way to find a food with glucosamine in it. I did the math a few years back and for my dog to get a therapeutic dose of glucosamine from the food I was feeding her I would have had to tripple the amount she should be eating :jawdrop You will probably get better results from getting a separate glucosamine supplement for her.

When looking at dog food I look at the first five ingredients. I try to find one that has meat as the first ingredient and most of the top five. I also avoid corn, as it is not highly digestible and a more common allergy.

Right now I am feeding my dog Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. It isn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive either.

hollymarie
09-16-2010, 11:38 PM
hmm not sure if I'll be helpful, but I'll at least say something! After my pup was done with Purina puppy chow we started her on Pedigree..which isn't really expensive, and she seems to like it just fine...I can't remember, but I don't believe meat is the first ingredient in Pedigree.:no3

Llee
09-17-2010, 04:51 AM
First, I wouldn't go out of my way to find a food with glucosamine in it. I try to find one that has meat as the first ingredient and most of the top five. I also avoid corn, as it is not highly digestible and a more common allergy.

I know what you mean about the glucosamine, but food that has it really makes a difference to our dog. She has a bad leg because she was abused as a just-born puppy and having food without it is really making her limp. I should look into just getting the supplement, but the food we'd been giving her had it, so I hadn't bothered.

Thank you for the list and corn idea! :)

we started her on Pedigree..which isn't really expensive, and she seems to like it just fine...

Oooh I hadn't thought about Pedigree. I'll check that out too. Thank you! :)