PDA

View Full Version : Your most delicious cake recipe

TuneMyHeart
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Please share. :) I'm open to flavors and different kinds, but it has to be mostly from scratch.

doubleblessings
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
This is the recipe for the cupcakes Ellie liked. I will type out the actual recipe and then what I think I did (because I REALLY screwed it up :giggle) I wish I could make it and bring it to you, but I couldn't get that done until Monday and I know you want it for Sunday. :hugheart

From The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum
White Velvet Butter Cake
4.5 large egg whites
1 C milk
2 1/4 t vanilla
3 C flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1T+1t baking powder (I used baking soda and cream of tarter)
3/4 t salt
12 T unsalted softened butter

Preheat oven to 350

Combine egg whites, 1/4 C milk and vanilla (I put in all of the milk)

In separate large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients - blend on low 30sec
Add butter and 3/4 c milk and moisten on low then beat for 1 1/2 min on med (I think I realized I messed up at this point and I put some of the egg/milk mixture in :shrug3)

Add egg mixture in 3 batches beat between

Put in greased and floured pans (half full) - fits in 2 9in pans

Bake 25-35 min

Classic Buttercream
6 large egg yolks
1C sugar
1/2 C water
2C unsalted softened butter

Beat yolks until light in color
In pan combine sugar and water and heat stirring until sugar dissolves and the syrup is boiling. Stop stirring and boil to soft-ball stage 238degrees (I guessed) - then immediately transfer sugar to glass measuring cup to stop the cooking.
Beat small amount of syrup into eggs beat 5 sec then repeat - beat until cool
Gradually beat in the butter.
Can be refrigerated, but bring to room temp before spreading on cake (can rebeat if needed for texture).

TuneMyHeart
09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Thank you! :heart

doubleblessings
09-15-2010, 03:16 PM
bumping to see if anyone else has one :)

Raspberries
09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Best cake I've ever had. No one would know it's gluten free (and that's how I think the better gf recipes are anyway).

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2005/12/maple-frosted-pumpkin-cake.html

Kiara.I
09-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Basil Cream And Mint Cream Filled Cupcakes With Raspberry Mousse Frosting (http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=42)
Black Forest Cake is pretty awesome too, but I think for mine I wound up piecing together several recipes to make it (cake from one site, cherry stuff from another...)

Serafine
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
these are amazing (I have made as cupcakes, and as a cake). SO good.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/06/blueberry-babycakes.html

ETA: Okay, seriously, I have YET to try anything from her site that isn't wonderful, so here you go:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/09/gluten-free-cake-cupcake-recipes.html

Soliloquy
09-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Have you tried making those blueberry cakes w/o xanthan gum? I don't like xanthan gum (and dh is allergic to it).

I have an awesome recipe for devil's food cake. :yum. I'll try to post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Serafine
09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Have you tried making those blueberry cakes w/o xanthan gum? I don't like xanthan gum (and dh is allergic to it).

I have an awesome recipe for devil's food cake. :yum. I'll try to post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, I am not good enough at GF baking yet to venture out. :giggle

I have heard you can sub. guar gum for xanthan gum, though, if you are okay with guar gum.

Being GF definitely makes it difficult to do the traditional diet...we have found that we just don't do many grain-ish products at all anymore. :shrug3

TuneMyHeart
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
those blueberry cakes look delicious. :yum Is it possible to sub regular flour for a gluten-free recipe? We can't have xantham gum here.

Serafine
09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
those blueberry cakes look delicious. :yum Is it possible to sub regular flour for a gluten-free recipe? We can't have xantham gum here.

I have no idea.

Again, can you do guar gum? That can be subbed for xanthan gum.

TuneMyHeart
09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, I think it's corn-free, but I don't have it and have no idea where to get it. :lol I have a mill and grind all our grain; I've never made anything gluten-free.

Serafine
09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah, honestly, I wouldn't try to sub regular flour, although...I guess it can't hurt to try, right? (sorry, I though you were GF for some reason, so I was all excited to give you lots of fun cake recipes).

swimming with sharks
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I :heart the chocolate cake recipe on the hershey's cocoa tub :yum

ShangriLewis
09-15-2010, 07:10 PM
I am pretty sure coconut cupcakes could fit the bill. It is in the veg forum, but I will see if I can find it.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=180448&highlight=Coconut+cupcakes

RealLifeMama
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I :heart the chocolate cake recipe on the hershey's cocoa tub :yum

That is a good one! So moist and delicious!
I like it with peanut butter icing. :yum

CapeTownMommy
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
I can't share my favourite one (sworn to secrecy), but I'll post this AWESOME dark chocolate one:

Dense chocolate loaf cake (from Nigella's "How to be a domestic goddess"):

1 cup soft unsalted butter
1 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted (must be very good quality)
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plus 2 teaspoons boiling water
9x5 inch loaf pan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease and line the loaf pan. You MUST line the pan because the cake is very damp and very likely stick.

Cream butter and sugar and add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Fold in melted and slightly cooled chocolate, blend well but don't overbeat. You want to combine the ingredients, you don't want a light airy mass. Combine flour and baking soda. Then gently add the flour alternately spoon by spoon with the boiling water to the batter. In other words, add a spoon of flour, mix, then a spoon of water, mix, etc. until you have a smooth and fairly liquid batter.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 325 and bake for 15 more minutes. The cake will still be a bit moist inside so a skewer inserted won't come out completely clean.

Let the cake cool down completely before turning it out. It will sink a bit in the middle. It improves over the next day or so.

You don't need to ice it at all, but it's awesome with vanilla cream or strawberries and ice-cream as dessert.

TuneMyHeart
09-16-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't have any Hershey's cocoa! Did somebody say peanut butter icing? I had no idea that existed!

Is this it? http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184

RealLifeMama
09-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, that is it.
I like to use some coffee for the water.
The batter is really, really thin, so don't get freaked out!

For peanut butter icing:
1 pound confectioners' sugar
2 cups creamy peanut butter
10 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup heavy cream

Mix all ingredients except for cream in a mixer with a paddle attachment on medium low.
Add cream and whip until creamy.
You may need more or less sugar depending on how sweet/thick you want it. The original recipe called for half that amount of sugar, and I found it was just like spreading Jif on a cake, so I double the sugar now. I am kind of "until it looks right" kind of girl with my icing, so you may have to experiment with your cream and sugar amounts.

TuneMyHeart
09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
will it be different if I use natural peanut butter? I have issues using that kind of pb in cookies sometimes.

RealLifeMama
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
will it be different if I use natural peanut butter? I have issues using that kind of pb in cookies sometimes.

Hmmmm, I dunno.
My guess is yes, it would be different.
I always use the Whole Foods Organic kind that has sugar and non-hydrogenated palm oil added.
Maybe you could make a small batch and add a bit more butter?
What I typed out is two batches from the original recipe because one batch was never enough for a whole cake. I bet just trying 1/4 of the recipe above would give you enough for filling the cake, and then you can see how it comes out before wasting a lot of ingredients.