PDA

View Full Version : green cherry tomatoes

mamaKristin
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I've got a feeling that it's going to frost in the next 48 hours or so, so I've been stripping out my garden. I've got SO MANY green tomatoes (where was our heat this summer??) and cherry tomatoes. Anything I can do with the cherry tomatoes, besides hope they ripen up soon?

I've got two packing boxes from Costco full of the green ones.

racheepoo
09-12-2010, 03:24 PM
make pickles, fry them like you would any fried green tomato, tomato chutney :yep

Buela
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
My mom just harvested 150 pounds of green tomatoes from her garden -- and is making my childhood favorite recipe of something we called "chow" growing up. It's a relish like think that tastes wonderful on roast beef. She said she is going to have at least 20 liters of the stuff cooked up by tomorrow YUM!

cobluegirl
09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I would dill pickle them.

joyful mama
09-12-2010, 08:31 PM
oooh i'm so glad you posted t his!! I have TONS of green tomatoes, and since we're moving very soon, I was sad to see them all go to waste! but :doh I don't have to!!

check out this website (http://www.ifood.tv/network/green_cherry_tomato/recipes) for TONS of green tomato recipes :yum (on the right side.)

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

mmmmmm I think I'm going to try this one...

orange green tomato relish (http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2009/07/how-to-eat-summer-food-all-year/21999/)

Macky
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
We stripped the garden last night... first frost warning for us. I'm on the green tomato relish bandwagon for your cherries. I make the Green Tomato Hot Dog Relish in the Bernardin booklet (I got mine at Peavey Mart), but if you can't find it, I can post maybe this evening. I make it every year and it's SPECTACULAR! I've served it at barbecues and brought it to pot lucks and no one has any idea it's made with green tomatoes unless I tell them. It's not a sweet relish, though, so if you like sweet, then make something else.

Other than that, yeah... just hurry up and wait. Do I ever hate having to pick them green. :( DH has brought home old computer server boxes from work over the years – very flat and big. I lay newspaper, spread one layer of tomatoes, then put another layer of newspaper on top before stashing them under the bed(s).

Good luck with yours!

raining_kisses
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
i want frost!! waaaaaaaaahhhh.:hissyfit:impouting

andrea_r
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
lay them all out flat on newspapers, hopefully somewhere sunny. they'll ripen eventually.

Beauty4Ashes
09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I made some into a green tomato quick bread.

Serafine
09-14-2010, 10:01 AM
You can lay banana peels on them to ripen them more quickly. (well, I know you can hang them on the plants to do that...I am assuming you can do it to the tomatoes too).

Macky
09-14-2010, 02:40 PM
i want frost!! waaaaaaaaahhhh.:hissyfit:impouting

:hunh :scratch Sending your way. ;)