PDA

View Full Version : When you meet an awesome stray....

Johns_Gal
09-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Do your plans of "No dogs for another few years" kind of go belly up? :lol

I was driving home from dropping off a friend tonight and two little dogs of my most favorite breed in the world were running loose. Shelties. Usually shy with strangers. It was very late and they were tiny, so I worried they'd be squished in the road. So, I stop my car and get out, fully expecting them to hightail it for home. Oh no. One ran right up to me and was all "Pet me, love me, aren't I sweet?!" and so I was all "Aww, yes you are! You come hop in my car and we will come back in the morning and find your people (or keep you forever if they cannot be found, and feed you steak and snuggle you :shifty )!"

So as this darling little dog follows me around the car someone passes, I flagged them down to ask who owned the girls, they knew so back into their fence they went. :) But seriously, I'm half tempted to stop by the house later and ask who bred that fearless little sheltie and would they recommend them? :shifty

expatmom
09-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Augh, totally!!

I'm the adamant 'no dog' person in our family, until we are settled somewhere with land for the dog to run & jump. No dogs while we live this transient expat life. And it already costs a fortune to bring our cats from country to country so a dog really would be a huge added expense.

Then I spotted a little white ball of fluff outside the gas station yesterday. He was so so cute. And friendly. I went over to see him & he let me pick him right up. He was pretty skinny but covered with thick white fur with a tiny spot of brown over his right eye. So.totally.adorable!! :heart

I've been thinking about him ever since I saw him. And I might send dh back to ask if he belongs to anyone. :shifty

Damselfly
09-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Oh yes! We had decided not to have a dog because our fence is rather old and weak. Then on the way to church one Sunday last month we saw a woman abandon two dogs. I started crying and so my husband turned around and we went back. I figured we could at least get them to a shelter. One of the dogs ran away and another motorist who stopped said he would try to get it and find a home for it. The other dog walked right up to me and wagged her tail. She was a reddish-brown mixed-breed with huge, amber-colored eyes. After making sure she was friendly, I invited her in the car. She hopped right up between the kids and smiled a big, doggy smile. We took her home. She was muddy, stinky, flea-ridden and as it turned out, pregnant. She is also an angel with the kids, potty-trained, well-behaved, not a digger and allows herself to be contained by our fence. The upshot is we decided to keep her. :) We took her to the vet and got her shots and will get her spayed after she has her litter.

I feel that God meant for us to have her and so over-rode our ideas about not getting a dog. :) It can happen. :D

Kiera
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I wish we could find a stray healthy dog! I don't want to pay $200+ for a "rehoming" fee when that could be spent on vet visit and spay/neutering, so I keep saying "Not right now." Hmph. God, you could put a nice dog in our path. We'll give him/her a nice home :smile

SilverMoon
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
This is how we ended up with 4 cats. The first three were too great to give up/away.

We've had dogs jump into our car when we stopped to help them. One was this little hound with basset markings. I was stopping at a stop sign and she ran right in front of my van. I was so afraid I'd hit her, so I opened my door to check it out, and she jumped right in, laid down in the back seat and was like, "Go, Go, GO!" and piddled a little on the bag that was there. Her owner was walking outside, so I asked him if he was missing a dog. Yes, he'd opened the house door and didn't know she'd left. She didn't want to leave my van. I still wonder about her, if she was treated well or not.
The second dog was a huge Spitz breed, all white and at least 75#. It had just crossed a semi-busy road and was on the side so I turned around to check on her. Before I could tell my daughter to stay in the car (because she has a huge heart for animals and a way with them that's amazing and I knew she'd want to get to the dog) so I could make sure it was safe, she had opened the side van door and in jumps this huge dog! We drove into the subdivision it appeared she came from, and found her owner driving his truck while looking for her.

Johns_Gal
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Was with same friend today, and little darling dog was out in the road, again.

Must...not...offer to buy... doggie.... no mater how dirty and unsupervised. Cannot have a dog right now. And she is so sweet and pretty, it's a shame she's always filthy and tangled up. I've alwyas had a sheltie, they are not hard to keep clean and untangled.

But oh. WANT. :shifty :giggle

Lord, stop me from asking if they'd like to rehome her. Cause I would spring her skinny self in about two seconds flat. :lol