PDA

View Full Version : Homemade sloppy joe sauce

WanderingJuniper
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't like that every can of sloppy joe sauce has hfcs in it among other things I prefer to not eat. However every recipe I've found for made from scratch sloppy joe sauce has ingredients like ketchup.:scratch That doesn't help me avoid the hfcs.

Anyone have a good recipe for this?

mommylove
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Probably not what you're looking for, but I've got these (http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/10/sloppy-lentils-in-the-crockpot.html)cooking right now, which were recommended here & are really good. I use homemade ketchup from this (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/homemadeketchup.htm) recipe, which is really fast.

cheri
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
You can buy ketchup without HFCS. Either something at a Whole Foods/Trader Joes type store or you can buy Heinz organic, Hunt's regular ketchup no longer has hfcs.

Kyasmom
09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Muir Glen and Annies both have hfcs-free ketchups... I think the last time I was at Target I saw a HFCS-free Hunts too. I would just use one of those... or if you didn't have one in the house and wanted to make it, you could just replicate the ingredients of ketchup. :)

Forsynthianicki
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't have a real recipe just what I learned watching my mom for years. Brown ground beef with any veggies you want (onion, garlic, pepper, ect). Add a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, a few large tablespoons of brown sugar, a quirt of yellow mustard, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and or onion powder. It's a pretty simple recipe all of it to taste so play with it until you like it. We like ours pretty sweet so we use more brown sugar sometimes I will add a tablespoon of molasses too. I don't know how it compares to canned sauce flavor wise as I have never had it.

klpmommy
09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I buy hfcs-free ketchup all the time. It is not that hard to find even in "regular" grocery stores. :)

WanderingJuniper
09-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I'll look for the Hunts kind. I've tried the other HFCS free brands and umm well I don't like them.

forsynthianiki I will play around with what you mentioned. :yes Thank you. :)