PDA

View Full Version : fish - depressed?

monkeylicious
09-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Is it possible for a fish to be depressed?

We have a 10 gallon tank with acceptable levels (nitrite, nitrate, ph...) and 4 mollies. we decided for the last 2 fish we wanted some more color so went with 2 platys. they have been doing horribly. replaced the red, replaced the red mickey, replaced the red mickey again - store said they had something going on with the red mickeys, so we got a sunrise mickey... well, our solid red died wednesday afternoon. the mickey was acting fine that afternoon, but yesterday he was either flying around the tank, clearly alive... or laying on the bottom looking dead. the two platys clearly hung out together... you would see them swimming around together, obviously together... and we haven't replaced red yet (wasn't planning to). do you think it is possible that our mickey is depressed and we need to get another platy? and btw - never thought i would be asking a question like this!

monkeylicious
09-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Maybe I'm projecting :shifty

tigerlily
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't know, but now I really want to make up a questionaire about how to tell if your fish is depressed. :shifty

domesticzookeeper
09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
If they grouped together, and now the one fish is on his own, then that can be very stressful. I don't know about "depressed", but I would venture to say that he may be nervous and possibly feel a little unsafe. Another friend might not be a bad idea :hug

FlyingBlueKiwi
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't know who looks after your fish, but I recently asked dh if ds' fish looked anxious. His reply..."wouldn't you be if your life depended on a six year-old?" :lol

monkeylicious
09-12-2010, 04:30 AM
:lol fortunately for the fish, dh and I take care of them.