PDA

View Full Version : how can I help my wild blackberry plant

Beauty4Ashes
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
It's growing amidst a shrub. We discovered it a couple of months ago when dh was pruning shrubbery. I don't want to take the shrub out, but I would love to get more blackberries from it. Do I need some sort of a trellis? I noticed that we are getting some blackberry plants in various places but they are very small. Where do they grow the best?

ShangriLewis
09-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Your in WA right. You don't do anything. You let them take over your yard and you will never be able to remove them. They throw out canes throughout the area. You really have to burn them to get rid of them.

Therre is nothing like a bowl of fresh blackberries. Yummy!

OOps...wrong person. I am sorry. They grow crazy here.

MarynMunchkins
09-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Do you only have one? You need male and female plants to have berries. I can't tell which is which except when there's berries, though.

I have a ton of wild ones in my backyard too.

Beauty4Ashes
09-07-2010, 09:19 AM
No, I'm in PA. My crabapple tree is doing great; it was here when we moved in. We have a dwarf pear tree which is relatively loaded with pears. There *were* some blackberries on that plant, maybe we got to it a bit late in the season? There is one cane growing on the mountain, but it's only a few inches tall. I guess I'll just wait and see. :)