PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot Apple Butter

RealLifeMama
09-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Has anyone made apple butter in the crock pot?
I have found a few recipes online, some of which call for applesauce, but I just want to use apples.
Cooks.com has a bunch, but I would like something tried and true.

macksmom
09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I just did a batch of crock pot peach butter that turned out fabulously. I just blended them, added sugar, then left on low overnight. I haven't done apple butter yet...but would think it'd work the same.

swimming with sharks
09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
:yes:rockon I'm :nak but I'll bring it back in a little bit :yum

Close2MyHeart
09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
I do it every year. :yes I cut the apples up really small, add the sweeteners I like & simmer all day (about 12 hrs), stirring w/ a whisk every so often.

It's so yummy! :yum

swimming with sharks
09-07-2010, 04:08 AM
I love to do it overnight so that it's ready to can first thing in the am (I'm a morning person! :tu)
Peel, core, and chop apples. 14 Large apples fit in my crockpot. Add 1 Tbsp vanilla. Cook apples for 8 hrs on low. Massh up apples. Add 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 c white sugar, 1 c brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp ground up cloves. (I only add 1 c brown sugar normally that's way sweet enough!) Thwen can and process for 10 minutes. :rockon :yum

Ajani
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I did it with plums (with a couple apples and even some local grapes thrown in) in my small crockpot a few weeks ago. http://asinglestepblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/plum-butter.html Super yum! I'm going to mix some of it with a little icing sugar to sandwich between spice cookies.

TuneMyHeart
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I always make it in the crockpot too. :yum

Maggirayne
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't think I knew that was your blog, Ajani, someone else posted it last week. :yum

I am totally gonna do it, we have a pie apple tree, does it matter what kind you use?

Ajani
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Someone linked to my blog? Cool!

The kind of apple sort of matters. The ones that break down (sauce apples) work well because... well, they break down quickly. A little tartness helps too. MacIntosh are a good variety, but there are lots of others.

swimming with sharks
09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I like granny smiths :yum

Serendipity
09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't make fun of me but how do you can apple butter? Are we talking pressure canning?

RealLifeMama
09-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks, y'all.
I have a bunch of random apples I am trying to use up.
Some granny smith, some rome, some even gala, I think.

I do not can, so I don't even know where to begin with that part. DH says it is easy and I don't need a special canner or anything, yet he does not know how to do it, either.
I do have some smaller size mason jars, though.

Anyway, I can't wait! I am too exhausted to get it ready tonight, but I will try to do it tomorrow.
I can't wait to eat it with some fresh biscuits! Yum!

TuneMyHeart
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know anything about canning, but apple butter freezes well.

DoulaClara
09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Absolutely this needs to be pressure canned- it's so thick, it's really the only way to stay safe. I didn't think about making it in a crockpot, I want to try this!

JenLovie
09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Yum! I will have to pick up a bunch of apples when they're on sale!

Eesti
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
And then what do you eat it with? I don't think I have had it before?

TuneMyHeart
09-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I eat it in place of jelly. It's really good.

WI Mama05
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I was just gonna ask if you can freezer-can it instead of pressure. That's the only way I know how :bag

DoulaClara
09-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I was just gonna ask if you can freezer-can it instead of pressure. That's the only way I know how :bag
:yes

Maggirayne
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
How do you freezer can?

Ajani, it wasn't your blog, it was someone else's. Sorry.

I just got plums tonight, so now I need to go look. Lol!

I love apple butter and peanut butter sandwiches. :yum On toast or bran muffins too.

Ajani
09-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Pressure canned? I did boiling water for 10 minutes (half pint jars). Found that here (http://www.stoptheride.net/2008/09/crock-pot-apple-butter.html), among other places (I don't recommend her "inversion method" though).

ncsweetpea
09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
I love to do it overnight so that it's ready to can first thing in the am (I'm a morning person! :tu)
Peel, core, and chop apples. 14 Large apples fit in my crockpot. Add 1 Tbsp vanilla. Cook apples for 8 hrs on low. Massh up apples. Add 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 c white sugar, 1 c brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp ground up cloves. (I only add 1 c brown sugar normally that's way sweet enough!) Thwen can and process for 10 minutes. :rockon :yum

Do you process it under pressure or in a water bath? And while we're talking apples and canning...can (like that pun???) you give us your apple pie filling recipe. (Amy, this is worth making too!)

Serendipity
09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
bump

I want to know how to pressure can anf freezer can:yes

DoulaClara
09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
My pressure canner came with awesome, clear directions for pressure canning. I could go grab my instruction booklet later!

Ajani, I think the cooperative extension only rec's hot water canning for things that are highly acidic or jellies/jams that are thinner. I would hot water bath can it if it would be eaten within 3 mos, but I know it wouldn't go that fast here (just because I can in lg quantities, for the most part).

Serendipity
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
My pressure canner came with awesome, clear directions for pressure canning. I could go grab my instruction booklet later!

Ajani, I think the cooperative extension only rec's hot water canning for things that are highly acidic or jellies/jams that are thinner. I would hot water bath can it if it would be eaten within 3 mos, but I know it wouldn't go that fast here (just because I can in lg quantities, for the most part).

Ah, so you have to actually buy a pressure canning device. Hmm...maybe I should look into investing in one :D

swimming with sharks
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I've hot water bath canned my apple butter for the last three years and we're all fine. :shrug3 I never really thought about it not working. We also hot water bath can applesauce, peach butter, and peaches, but not pumpkin butter. :think

I"ll type up the apple pie filling recipe after I finish folding my laundry (I need to add up my points for the challenge :giggle)

simplegirl
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I've hot water bath canned my apple butter for the last three years and we're all fine. :shrug3 I never really thought about it not working. We also hot water bath can applesauce, peach butter, and peaches, but not pumpkin butter. :think

I"ll type up the apple pie filling recipe after I finish folding my laundry (I need to add up my points for the challenge :giggle)

Yum. Ok, so *what* does that entail. I need play by play exact directions or I will mess it up somehow :shifty :bag

swimming with sharks
09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
boil water in a BIG pot.
Put clean jars in big pot and let boil for 10 mins
put lids and rings in smaller pot and boil also
Take jars out of boiling water, pour hot applesauce/apple butter/whatever into jars.
Wipe top of jar and threads with wet washcloth.
Pull lid out of boiling water and put on top of the jar.
Tighten ring on jar.
Once they're all filled and lids are on, put the jars in the boiling water canner and "process" (fancy word for boil) for however many minutes called for in the recipe.
VOILA.... yummy stuff for the long cold hard winter so Pa doesn't have to hitch up the horses to take everyone to Walmart to buy jam filled with HFCS. *curtsy*

simplegirl
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
boil water in a BIG pot.
Put clean jars in big pot and let boil for 10 mins
put lids and rings in smaller pot and boil also
Take jars out of boiling water, pour hot applesauce/apple butter/whatever into jars.
Wipe top of jar and threads with wet washcloth.
Pull lid out of boiling water and put on top of the jar.
Tighten ring on jar.
Once they're all filled and lids are on, put the jars in the boiling water canner and "process" (fancy word for boil) for however many minutes called for in the recipe.
VOILA.... yummy stuff for the long cold hard winter so Pa doesn't have to hitch up the horses to take everyone to Walmart to buy jam filled with HFCS. *curtsy*

so "put the jars in the boiling water canner"....is that the same BIG pot you were boiling in the first step or are you actually refering to a canning specific pot??? and since i only have the recipe on here, how long would you boil applebutter for? thank you thank you thank you!

Earthylady
09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
This sounds fabulous! i can't wait to try it!

mamahammer
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
:popcorn

swimming with sharks
09-09-2010, 03:10 AM
so "put the jars in the boiling water canner"....is that the same BIG pot you were boiling in the first step or are you actually refering to a canning specific pot??? and since i only have the recipe on here, how long would you boil applebutter for? thank you thank you thank you!

:bag put the jars in the boiling water canner=put the jars in the big pot of boiling water

sorry and once they're all in there let the pot boil at a good boil for 10 minutes than use tongs to remove the jars after te 10 minutes is up. You should hear a pop from each jar as it seals) this will be after you take it out of the boiling water. If you can push down the lid to make it pop after the jars are cool, it didn't seal and I would eat that one right away.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Canned Apple Pie Filling:
This is a wonderful pie filling recipe. The trick to the syrup is put your sugar and spices in 8 or 8 1/2 cups of hot water; stir till dissolved and place over low heat. Then mix 2 cups water 3 TBS lemon juice and corn starch and set aside. After you have the apples sliced and packed in the jars bring the sugar mixture almost to boiling stir in your cornstarch mixture and pour it into the sugar mixture. Stir or wisk mixture quickly. When the white of the cornstarch disappears, laddle over sliced apples. It makes 9 quarts every time for me, but I pack the apples within 1 inch of the top.

INGREDIENTS

4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt
10 cups water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
6 pounds apples

in a large pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and water and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Sterilize canning jars, lids and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.

Earthylady
09-09-2010, 05:41 AM
It looks like a boiling water bath is fine for apple sauce and apple butter. I found a good site on pickyourown.com with some recipes and info when I googled canning apple butter.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

So you don't put ANY white sugar and only the 1 cup of brown?

swimming with sharks
09-09-2010, 05:55 AM
It looks like a boiling water bath is fine for apple sauce and apple butter. I found a good site on pickyourown.com with some recipes and info when I googled canning apple butter.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

So you don't put ANY white sugar and only the 1 cup of brown?

Yeah...my whole goal was making it with no hfcs, no preservatives, and less sugar than store bought. 3 cups of sugar seemed like a lot....and you can knock it down even more and add sugar at the end if you think it needs more. :shrug3 I think last year I went down to 3/4c brown sugar. I tried 1/2c, but the rxn from the family was pretty grim :giggle

Earthylady
09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Have you tried making it with honey or molasses? Or stevia?

Quiteria
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
What's the difference between wanting to make applesauce vs. apple butter?

Earthylady
09-09-2010, 01:36 PM
mmmmmm....just made this and it is divine! Yummy!

Ajani
09-10-2010, 06:19 AM
What's the difference between wanting to make applesauce vs. apple butter?

Apple butter is thick and dark and tangy, whereas apple sauce is thinner, not sticky and not a good breakfast spread. :no

Quiteria
09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Right, but what makes the end result apple butter vs. apple sauce? How do I keep from making the wrong one if I just throw apples in the crock and wing it?

Ajani
09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Ah, I get it. Apple butter is cooked much longer. Think the difference between simple syrup and caramel. Much of the liquid evaporates off and the apples oxidize and the sugars caramelize a bit. It all comes together to make a rich, smooth, tangy spread. The crockpot is ideal because it all but eliminates the possibility of burning the butter.

RealLifeMama
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I finally got around to making the apple butter.
It tastes really good, but it is thinner than I would like.
How can I thicken it up a bit?
Also, it has a slight chunky quality to it and is not as smooth as most butters I have tried. Should I put it in the blender or something?

ETA, it actually is the texture and consistency of applesauce. Is that the way it comes out?

Love_Is_Patient
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I usually blend my apple butter after the apples are good and soft. Then I put it back in the crock pot for a couple of hours with the lid off. That should let some of the liquid evaporate and it will thicken up a bit. (You can do it on high, but watch it a bit).

I don't put any sugar in mine unless I taste it and it needs some at the end. I use sweeter apples, usually, though. The apples plus the spices (I use cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) are very good! I've seen recipes that used honey but haven't tried them.

Ajani
09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Any apple butter I've seen looks like this (http://www.amish-market.com/img/products/apple_butter.JPG). Dark and smooth and fairly thick. I took my immersion blender to my plum butter to get it smooth, and let it cook until it could pretty much hold up a spoon.

RealLifeMama
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I am soooo upset. Seriously, I am about in tears. Pregnancy hormones and all, I guess.
This is bordering on OT, but whatever, I started the thread, so I am going to hijack it.

I had taken the lid off so it would thicken a bit, and came to read the thread for the canning instructions.
While I was away from the kitchen, my 18 month old and 3yo moved a chair to look in the pot. My guess is my 3yo wanted to eat some of the apple butter.
My 18 month old likes to play in the sink. I heard my 9 yo scream "No! Ewwwwww!" My 18 month old took the dish brush and stuck it in the pot! And I am not positive, but I think he might have stuck the brush down the sink disposal first.

Yuck!
Now I need to throw it out.
:(

TuneMyHeart
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
:hugheart I'm so sorry. Could you put it on the stove and get it really hot, then not have to throw it away?

btw, I use my stick blender to smooth it out after cooking it in the crockpot.

klpmommy
09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
:hug2 I'd be upset, too, and I'm not pregnant.

swimming with sharks
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
oh honey! :hugheart I'm so sorry. :blah

JenLovie
09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
:hug2 I'd be upset, too, and I'm not pregnant.

This. :hug

simplegirl
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
oh, :hugheart. i'd be upset too.

RealLifeMama
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
DH said to just put it on high and let it cook all day and let it get really hot. I did, since I was not in a hurry to throw it out.
What do you all think?
Keep or toss?

klpmommy
09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Have dh taste it first, if he doesn't get sick, enjoy. :shifty

RiverRock
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
DH said to just put it on high and let it cook all day and let it get really hot. I did, since I was not in a hurry to throw it out.
What do you all think?
Keep or toss?

Only you know the cleanliness of your dish brush. ;)

I've never made apple butter before because I assumed it was cooked with all the core bits and skin, then pressed through a sieve. It sounded like too much work. I also thought it was just a thick applesauce, but not the tangy spiced goodness it sounds like. I have a lot of Damson plums and a big sack of pie apples so I might give the plum apple butter a go...after I take a look at Ajani's recipe. Hopefully the plum skins cook down on their own.

RealLifeMama
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Only you know the cleanliness of your dish brush. ;)

Well, I ran it through the dishwasher the day before yesterday. But if he did stick it in the disposal, like is his habit, hence why I ran it through the dishwasher, well, I dunno.

Mamacurls
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try this!