PDA

View Full Version : how to make beans in the crockpot?

klpmommy
09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
All the ones I'm finding on allrecipes use can beans, I'm trying to find out how to make dry beans into something edible.

Serafine
09-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Plpace your dry beans in a bowl, cover with 2 inches water, leave overnight, drain, rinse.
THen, place your beans (as follows) in the crockpot:
1 lb. dry beans (Soaked/rinsed)
cover with 1 in. water
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/2 cu oil

cook on high 5 hours or low 8-10 hours.

I have done this for just about every kind of dry bean that exists. You don't need the oil or the salt...that is just how I do it, b/c I like the finished flavor better in my meals.

klpmommy
09-05-2010, 01:25 PM
what is cu oil? or do you mean cup oil? :doh I bet that's it. What kind of oil?

momyshaver
09-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I picked up a few bags of dried beans while grocery shopping this week b/c although I enjoy the convience of canned beans I know it is healthier and more economical to do it this way; however, I always forget to soak my beans the night before. :shifty Maybe I should tie a string around my finger to help me remember. Beans in the crockpot and then divide and portion for various meals and freezer storage would make life a bit easier once done. I think crockpot is way easier than stovetop. Thanks for sharing your tips.

charla
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I use the recipe from the La Leche League cookbook called Easy Beans. I do not soak the beans for this recipe.

2 cups dried beans
4 to 5 cups hot water
chopped onion - 1 or 2 depending on what taste you want
1 clove minced garlic

Throw it all in the slow cooker. High 6-8 hours Low 10-12 hours.

After it's almost cooked through, I will add whatever other seasonings I want to it like salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, etc.

Atarah
09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I make beans in the crockpot all the time w/out soaking first. :shifty

I just add @ tsp. baking soda to the water.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

After it's almost cooked through, I will add whatever other seasonings I want to it like salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, etc.

:up
That

momyshaver
09-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I use the recipe from the La Leche League cookbook called Easy Beans. I do not soak the beans for this recipe.

2 cups dried beans
4 to 5 cups hot water
chopped onion - 1 or 2 depending on what taste you want
1 clove minced garlic

Throw it all in the slow cooker. High 6-8 hours Low 10-12 hours.

I have that cookbook. I should look what other ideas are in there instead of letting it collect dust :shifty Thanks for posting this! :rockon

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I make beans in the crockpot all the time w/out soaking first. :shifty

I just add @ tsp. baking soda to the water.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

:up
That

Why do you add the baking soda to the water? Does it help with digestion or is it something that helps with the not soaking part?

Atarah
09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
If the water or the beans are acidic (Or you add something acidic to the beans like tomatoes) then they don't cook. The soda just makes the water a bit basic so they cook a bit better/faster, IME. :shrug

momyshaver
09-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Oh, okay. I will try this next time I make beans, (which will hopefully be soon!)

graciousmomma
09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a family sized crockpot, so I usually cook two bags (1 pound each) at a time. I soak them overnight, rinse and drain, then put in the crockpot with a generous amount of water. I cook on high for around 5-6 hours, then put them in smaller containers to freeze them. I just thaw them out in the fridge when I am planning on using them. Occassionally I have put them straight into the crockpot frozen when making things like chili, and it always works out fine for me.

WildOlive
09-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I do them like firefighterwife, then I freeze them in pint sized wide mouth mason jars.

momyshaver
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Can beans go bad? I bought some various beans at the grocery the other day, large lima beans and black eyed peas. I soaked the limas overnight and this morning I noticed many of them were splt, the skins were off, broken beans, etc. I ended up tossing them in the compost b/c I just wasn't sure that was right. How do you know if your beans are bad? When would you toss? I was disapointed but I ended up rinsing off the black eyed peas and putting them in the crockpot. Guess we will see how *they* do.

Hermana Linda
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Soaking them will often make the skin come loose. :yes I never soak them, so I don't really know how to tell of they are bad after soaking. :O

Before soaking them, pick through them carefully. Get rid of any that look bad. When you see a bad one, you will know. :yes Also, small rocks often find their way in since they are picked mechanically.