PDA

View Full Version : using less sugar?

delightedmama
09-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I love baking: banana muffins, pumpkin bread, applesauce spice bread (http://www.mamawit.com/2009/applesauce-spice-bread/), milk cake (http://www.mamawit.com/2010/milk-cake/)... oh and anything chocolate :giggle but I've noticed lately that my recipes all call for a TON of sugar, not exactly what I'm going for when consuming fruits & veggies in my baked goods!

Any recipes for less-sugary breads like...
banana muffins
applesauce breads
pumpkin bread
zucchini bread
corn muffins

MomtoJGJ
09-02-2010, 03:56 AM
I have a basic recipe for muffins/quick breads that calls for a ton of sugar. I experimented over the course of a month using less and less sugar until the recipe still worked but I was comfortable with the amount of sugar. When I use white sugar it's at about 1/3 of what the original recipe calls for... if I use brown sugar it's at about 1/4. I'm ok with that because my recipe makes 18 large muffins or 24 medium muffins...

and if I use something really sweet in them, like applesauce or banana, I use even less sugar.

Love_Is_Patient
09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
IMO, banana bread needs very little sugar. I'll often put it just 1/4 cup and add an extra banana or 2 (depending on the recipe; the one I use calls for 2 c. flour, 1 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. baking soda, 2 eggs, 5 mashed bananas, 1 t. vanilla [optional], 1/4 c. sugar[sometimes I actually use 2 T. sugar and 2 T honey; if the batter doesn't taste seet enough then I add another T. or 2 of honey], and 3/8 c. oil. Add chopped nuts if you want. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 170 C for 55 minutes or so.).

I've done similarly to Lora Beth and just decreased the sugar in my existing recipes. Another thing that I sometimes do is replace sugar with other things--like if it called for 1 c. sugar, I'll use 1/3 c. sugar, 1/3 c. honey, and 1/3 c. powdered milk (if you can get it without added sugar). I'd use less sugar and honey than that if it was a recipe with banana or pumpkin in it. Adding vanilla and/or cinnamon also increases the natural sweetness of a recipe.

When we make corn bread, I leave out the sugar almost entirely--like put in 1 teaspoon. We like salty cornbread, with butter!

abh5e8
09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
i also just decrease the sugar. you can also use other things like honey, maple syurp, apple sauce, pineapple juice or add extra vanilla and/or spices like cinnamon. i would start with a recipe you like and gradually dec the amt of sugar. we dont' like and aren't used to really sweet breads or muffins, but it might be nice for you to have a few batches to adjust your taste as well. :)