PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get rid of fleas help please!

AngelaVA
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I noticed this week that our cat had some fleas and I treated her but I guess it was too late because on Friday I found fleas in our downstairs family room carpet where the cat spends most of her time. I searched and found a thread on here and followed the advice but have a couple follow up questions.

The room I found them in has most of the kids toys in it so I put all those up and spread borax, waited 12 hours then vaccuumed. I've been vaccuming my whole house and my furniture every day since then. I haven't seen an fleas in the main level of my house but I've just been vaccuming up there too just incase. If I search really hard I can still find a flea in my downstairs carpet though. Should I just keep vaccuuming or is it time to try something else? Or do Borax again? I don't have an DE, have no idea how to get some without having it shipped from somewhere off the internet.

Also, my kids toys that were laying out on the carpet that got infested. One was a fuzzy Elmo chair, the cover is supposed to come off but the zipper is broken and it won't. The other is a box of dressup clothes which includes my DD's 2 dressup dresses which are really cheap polyester numbers with fairy wings I am fairly sure will fall apart in the wash. I tossed this stuff in an unfinished room off the main room right now but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it to make sure it doesn't have fleas or flea eggs in it.

Ugh I have out of town company coming in Friday too, I really want to have this taken care of by then.

Oh one more thing, how do I know if there are fleas in my yard? My cat is really old and on the rare occassion she does go out she doesn't go far so I'm curious if they are in my yard somewhere.

Raspberries
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
We've recently just started being overrun. We've never had them before. I'm going to spread some diatomaceous earth around, put it in the cat's food, brush her with some, brush my parents dog, spread it around the property, put it on the carpets.

macksmom
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I've had great luck using lavender oil sprinkled around to keep them out. I even rub it lightly through the cats hair... But do b careful as cats can be neurologically sensitive to it from what I hear.

mamacat
08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
My sons house was infested.They set out plates of water at night and shined a little light of some kind in water and they are attracted to the light and jump in water.They did this until the water was coming up clean of fleas in the morning and kept vacuuming the carpets to get eggs and shampooed the cats with something

AngelaVA
08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
My sons house was infested.They set out plates of water at night and shined a little light of some kind in water and they are attracted to the light and jump in water.They did this until the water was coming up clean of fleas in the morning and kept vacuuming the carpets to get eggs and shampooed the cats with something

I saw this on the other thread and I tried it last night and I only got 4 fleas so I wasn't sure if that meant they were nearly gone or that I didn't do it right :giggle