PDA

View Full Version : homemade sandwich bread

believer
08-27-2010, 08:31 AM
I have been baking bread for years but had not made one that we could make sandwiches from and send to school with the kids.
I finally came up with a rather sucessful bread for that!
I use a rather simple recipe and mix it in the dough cycle of my bread machine - it does a much better job than I do trying to mix it by hand.
I let it go through the first rise in the machine which on mine is 50 min, then it "punches it down" and I take it out and put it in a greased loaf pan. I cover it with a dishcloth and put it into the oven which I had preheated to 200 degrees and then turned off for the second rise - 30 min. I pull it out of the oven and heat the oven to 350 and then bake for about 25 min. It has a good texture and flavor and makes great sandwiches!

The drawback is the time involved and having to be home to move it from place to place and the fact that I can only do one loaf at a time and one loaf lasts for one or two days for us.

Here is the recipe I use - it makes one loaf -

water - 1 1/3 c
coconut oil - 1 T
butter or olive oil - 1T
honey - about 2 T
salt - a scant 1t
flour - about 4 cups
yeast 2t

I warm the water and mix in the yeast and then pour it in the bread machine pan.

I then add the oil, honey and salt.

For the flour, I use a blend of flour types based on what I have around at the time. I use at least half organic unbleached white flour and the other half is a mix of whole grain flours. Right now I have some flour I got at a store that went out of business that I am using up so some of that is going in it and I grind some flour in my Vitamix. I usually grind Kamut, Millet, Lentils, Brown Rice, Flax Seed and Steel Cut Oats and sometimes Amaranth but right now I have Amaranth flour and Teff flour and Garbanzo Bean flour that I am using up. I also add in a bit of Vital Wheat Gluten and Xanthun Gum.

I start with a bit less than 4 cups of flour and let it mix in the bread machine. I watch it and use a rubber spatula to scrape it and help it to mix and then add more flour if it seems to need it.

BriansLovie
03-03-2011, 07:13 AM
I am going to try this recipe today :rockon

BriansLovie
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Believer... this bread is yummy :rockon But what do you grease your bread pans with? I did olive oil today and they Stuck and one loaf was a terrible mess :/ And that same loaf, got a giant air bubble (it looked BEAUTIFUL coming out of the oven) but as soon as I cut into it, it collapsed and the crust fell off :giggle What am I doing wrong?

TuneMyHeart
03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
can't answer all those questions, but I coat pans with coconut oil and they don't stick.

mommylove
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
subbing so I can find this again. I can't get DH to eat homemade bread in sandwiches, so I'm excited to try this recipe.

BriansLovie
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
can't answer all those questions, but I coat pans with coconut oil and they don't stick.

I do with CO too sometimes and they still stick :( what am I doing wrong? Do you really slather the CO on?

TuneMyHeart
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, I put quite a bit on, and they don't stick. :shrug

BriansLovie
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes, I put quite a bit on, and they don't stick. :shrug
Ok next time i will put more on

MommaNae
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna try this tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device

GentleMomof4
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't have a bread machine. :( Is it possible to make without one? It sounds yummy!!

MommaNae
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I did it without a bread machine. It's really good but DS wouldn't eat it when I used it for sandwiches. DH loved it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

bec28
03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Aluminum-2-Inch-Long-Loaf/dp/B00024WNOU

I saw a pan just like this, only it had a cover on it as well, so that you could put your dough in it, and as it rose the second time, the cover allowed it to fill the pan longwise instead of getting tall. Has anyone used anything like this for sandwich bread? Seems like it would be a cool idea :)

MommaNae
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I need a "normal" looking loaf pan like that. Maybe I could fool DS that way. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

GentleMomof4
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM
What do you keep it in after it's baked?

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Oh, and what sized loaf pan would I need?

houseforjoy
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
subbing!!

BriansLovie
03-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Yesterday, I used this recipe but I used white all purpose flour. It made a beautiiful loaf!!! It was so soft, cuts nicely, no air pockets. I baked it in the oven. Now I wish that whole wheat would turn out as nice. :P~

MommaNae
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
It fits in a standard loaf pan. I use a stone one.

I store it in a ziploc bag.
Posted via Mobile Device