PDA

View Full Version : Just harvested our peas

mamaKristin
08-24-2010, 08:04 PM
My goodness. So much work to shell the peas. We have been picking them randomly all summer, and have had some for snacking raw out of the garden. Tonight, we picked the remaining ones. It took me an hour to shell them all, and we got less than a 2 pound bag. They may be way tastier than the frozen ones at the grocery store, but so much work! :phew

Mother of Sons
08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Why did you shell them? I think they are yummy as is! You are making me jealous.

mamaKristin
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
The variety we have don't have the tastiest pods. Worst part is, they aren't on my current diet! :doh

Mother of Sons
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
awwww bummer.

mamaKristin
08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I :heart snap peas with the pods. These peas we grew were good, but I let my FIL pick the seeds. Next year, I go looking for tastier pod-ed peas. :yes

expatmom
08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
See, if it were me, there'd be no work to be done because I would have eaten them all out of the garden already. Those kind of peas are hands down my favourite summer garden item. I buy massive bags at the veggie store & hide them from my kids so I can eat them all myself!

Sundance
08-25-2010, 02:56 AM
We've harvested twice this week. I have probably 5lbs in the freezer, and I picked probably two 5 gallon pails worth! DH and I spent hours sitting at the table shelling...good bonding/chatting time, right??

There are still LOTS to come, so I imagine we'll be doing it all over again a few more times!