PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with not re-using lids?

WildOlive
08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Why not? Because I did. :shifty I ran out of new ones and used some that had been used before but were still intact (no bends or kinks). Are we going to die now?

Iarwain
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM
The rubber gasket part may not seal properly. Make extra sure that you check your seals after canning, after a couple weeks of storage, and again before use!

Forsynthianicki
08-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Same answer as Iarwain. Maybe put a mark on those jars with reused lids and try to use them up quickly. Make sure it sounds like you got a good seal when you open it, if in doubt... throw it out. A couple of jars of food is not worth the potential food poisoning issues for your family.

Maggirayne
08-23-2010, 09:24 AM
So what did people used to do? Throw them away all the time?

Buela
08-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I think they used to use a rubber ring to seal, or else wax or something

Forsynthianicki
08-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Before people used this style of canning jar, jars were made with a larger more durable gasket. Even these had to be replaced periodically. It's not as though they will not seal, but there is a greater risk of problems with the jars sealing. Canning is a lot of work, you don't want to run the risk of having food that ends up being unusable.

Iarwain
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
So what did people used to do? Throw them away all the time?

I think they used to use a rubber ring to seal, or else wax or something

:yes There were a few different types of lids/seals historically but one of the most common was rubber rings that were heavy and re-usable. The history of different types of canning jars/lids is kind of interesting. Some designs were a lot better than others. The two part lid and ring we use now is a "modern" design.

Maggirayne
08-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I was wondering what ppl would if we didn;t have an endless supply if new lids, i.e. TEOTWAWKI. :GIGGLE

andrea_r
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I reuse lids, or have - and you can tell when they start to go as the rubber on the inside starts to wear off. it's a thin coating, just enough to seal maybe 2 times.

Forsynthianicki
08-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I often go to this site to answer questions I have about home canning.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/