PDA

View Full Version : Meals for multiple dining times....

CakeLady
08-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Starting this week, we will be dining in stages at least once a week. (DD will need to eat before Wed night church, then DH when he gets home) I need some easy, tasty, quick meals that will be good for this type of situation.

I'm thinking soup (need more recipes), crockpot things (but not roasts), etc.

I want something that will be warm when everyone needs to eat.

Oh and DD will be going dairy free soon....

mamaKristin
08-21-2010, 09:42 PM
We had some staggered meals this spring when DH was coaching both girls in soccer, and I had DS at ball. We did quite a few crockpot meals. Must try to recall what ones we did :think

SalH
08-22-2010, 02:22 AM
sausage casserole is one of my favourite slow cooker meals. Easy to make and can just brown sausages in the frying pan and chop them up, put them in the pot with tinned tomatoes, onion, zucchini, garlic, baked beans (sometimes, sometimes not), dash worcs sauce, bit of sugar (if no baked beans) and few dried herbs. Carrot usually too. I make it with pork sausages. Ignorant of what the situation with sausages is in US, whether you have anything vaguely resembling English pork sausages? (Taken me ages to find ones I like since moving to Australia, i appear to be a sausage snob!!!!!!)

Another one: chicken pieces, bacon, onion, tinned tomatoes, dash of wine, herbs, bit of sugar, maybe bit of chicken stock... whatever veg you want to put in. I find now that chicken thigh fillets are the best in slow cooker dishes. Oh can also put drumsticks in but I might mix the 2 rather than do only drumsticks ( I guess you'd call that recipe coq au vin)

Had a great recipe recently that had cubed beef, stock, onion, garlic, carrot, half cup of plum jam, 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, bit of flour in the pan in the browning stage... that one was fantastic.

Can serve those with anything - potatoes, rice or even pasta I suppose. Frequently Iwill serve sausage casserole with pasta. But Jacket potatoes could sit in the warm oven ready to be eaten with the casserole for whenever people want to eat them.

cbmk4
08-22-2010, 09:11 AM
If you have a microwave and aren't opposed to using it, then just about anything can be reheated when necessary. In our house, we most often have casseroles, soups or stews. Like the others have said, crockpots are great for different meal times. Even on the nights we don't have something in the crockpot, we reheat leftovers for lunches.

CakeLady
08-22-2010, 09:26 AM
If you have a microwave and aren't opposed to using it, then just about anything can be reheated when necessary. In our house, we most often have casseroles, soups or stews. Like the others have said, crockpots are great for different meal times. Even on the nights we don't have something in the crockpot, we reheat leftovers for lunches.

That's what we do now, but I really want something that DH won't have to re-heat.

ncsweetpea
08-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Make baked potatoes in the crockpot. Have toppings ready in the fridge along with a salad.

Build sandwiches that can be taken out whenever and eaten.

SalH
08-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I've never heard of baked potatoes in the crock pot... can you explain that one to me please? I'd like to try it I think! thanks!

Indigo
08-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Here is a blog w/some great crockpot recipes. I would go that route too.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ She has a chicken, salsa & blackbean recipe that is to die for.

ncsweetpea
08-23-2010, 05:45 AM
I've never heard of baked potatoes in the crock pot... can you explain that one to me please? I'd like to try it I think! thanks!

Wash and prick potatoes. Wrap each in foil. Put in crockpot and cook on low 8-9 hours. Very easy!

SalH
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Right, I'll check if we have any potatoes and do it right now...!!!!

CakeLady
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I actually posted about it today on my food blog....

http://aroundmyfamilytable.blogspot.com/

We do it this way all the time.

SalH
08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
ooh after checking your blog shall I swap methods? Currently they are "only" wrapped in oil but we love them with olive oil and salt, and it seems a far better place to do them in the S/C rather than in the oven with the problem of burning and dripping olive oil...! Also I imagine the foil slows them down and Idon't think I have given myself long enough the other way...

CrunchySeaSalt
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Crockpot food:

Ham and potatoes in crockpot (you choose sauce/liquid)

meatballs w/ microwave steamed veggies

Any soup

Cold food:

Macaroni shrimp salad

cut up veggies or salad ready to eat with sandwiches and/or fruit

salsa and chips (all you can eat)

SalH
08-25-2010, 05:57 AM
anyone do anything good with beef mince in the slow cooker? considering doing something like that tomorrow - beef mince, onion, tomato soup... would it be disgusting?

ncsweetpea
08-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Either method for potatoes will work...

http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/08/slow-cooker-baked-potatoes.html

With the foil you don't have to move them around... Without the foil, I bet the skins get all nice and crispy the way I like them. Do they Wendy???

You all are making me want a baked potato, with my steak for breakfast! :lol