PDA

View Full Version : Floating peches

jenn3514
08-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Why do my peaches insist on rising to the top of the jar? right up out of the liquid. Everything I have read says that it is air, or the peaches are lighter than the syrup. I am using mostly natural juices and water though and run the thing around the side to get the air out. Hot packing worked better than cold packing, but they are still floating!

macksmom
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
:popcorn Waiting to see what the results are cause mine do too...

Thankfulforgrace
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
My book says hot packing is suppose to prevent it. :think I'm doing mine Thurs and I'll let you know how it goes...

RiverRock
08-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I thought it was normal? If my peaches don't float the seal usually didn't take. :shrug3 Aside from the top peach being a little discoloured, everything is fine. :)

swimming with sharks
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I thought it was normal? If my peaches don't float the seal usually didn't take. :shrug3 Aside from the top peach being a little discoloured, everything is fine. :)

:yes mine float too and they still taste :yum

RiverRock
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
I thought of something...do you pack down your peaches before adding the syrup? I gently pack the peaches so even though the peaches "float" it is not as noticeable.

jenn3514
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I thought I did with the first ones, the second ones seemed to pack better though. They were the ones that were hot packed.
Thanks for the advice, this is my first year canning, and the recipe shows these pretty perfect peaches floating nicely. Not like mine,lol! They do taste good though!