PDA

View Full Version : Mac and cheese recipes!!!

Weezie
08-12-2010, 05:50 AM
del

Soliloquy
09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Didn't see this until now. We love this recipe! You could make more sauce if you want it really sauce-y.

12 oz pkg pasta
3 T butter
3 T flour (or arrowroot for GF)
1/4 c finely chopped onion (optional)
1/8 t nutmet (optional)
1/2 t salt
Dash of pepper
2 c milk
2 c grated cheese (I usually use 2 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 2 1/2 qt casserole dish.

Cook pasta according to pkg directions.

Melt butter and saute onion. Stir in flour and seasoning, cook a few min. Gradually add milk and cook until thick. Add 1 1/2 c cheese and mix well.

Drain pasta well. Mix w/ cheese sauce, pour into casserole. Top w/ remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Charlie U
09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I make either elbows or shells.

For the cheese sauce, I melt 1/4 cup butter. Then I gradually add 1/4 flour while stirring. (I either use a whisk or a spoon, depending on what I feel like using.) Then I add some milk and water until it "looks right". :shifty Then I add finely shredded cheddar cheese until it "tastes right".

I put the noodles in a casserole dish and add the cheese sauce and mix real good. Then I sprinkle some cheese on top. I may or may not add bread crumbs. I bake it at 350 until it "looks right".

I cook better when I don't follow directions. :shifty I think I should stay out of the recipe section. :shifty

Soliloquy
09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
:roll :kiss
Posted via Mobile Device

heartofjoy
09-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Stove-top Mac & Cheese Serves 4-6adapted from Cooks Illustrated

8oz macaroni, or any smallish tube shaped pasta
1 tablespoon butter
6 oz evaporated milk
6 oz freshly grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper

Boil the pasta according to package directions, but reduce the cooking time by one minute. Drain and pour back into the cooking pot.

Over medium-low heat, add the butter and stir until melted.

Mix the egg, milk, and spices and pour over the pasta. Stir until it begins to thicken, about three to five minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat then add the cheese in four installments, making sure the first is melted completely before adding the next.

Pasted from <http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2009/03/stove-top-macaroni-and-cheese/>

I don't put the hot sauce in this and I use different amounts for everything because where do you find 8 oz boxes of mac?? :scratch So I use a whole box (12 oz?) and 2 eggs and about 1 3/4 cups evap milk or whole milk. I like to add onion powder to it. Also it's good with a mexican blend of cheeses instead of plain cheddar.

Quiteria
09-19-2010, 01:28 PM
The chunkiness comes from the regular milk curdling when cooked. The evap milk is the secret to creamy. You can stretch it by adding a little milk afterward, like making boxed mac and cheese calls for milk after removing from the stove, but any added before cooking will chunk.

America's Test Kitchen had a whole episode on mac and cheese that featured the creamiest recipe, but I didn't save it, so I can't tell you the right title. :bag It comes up with more than one hit if you search their site, so you'd still have to browse a bit to find it.

BriansLovie
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
bump

Dovenoir
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
This is the one food that keeps me from being able to go DF.. but YUM!