PDA

View Full Version : Our new kitty is still *really* sick. #15 :(

ReedleBeetle
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
We found a dime-sized umbilical hernia about 2 days after we got him. Then, last night we found a mass on his right rib cage that is about the size of a nickle or quarter. Today, I found a another mass behind his right ear that is about a 1/2 inch long and about 1/4 inch wide. He has an appt. for surgery for the umbilical hernia on the 27th and to check and possibly do surgery on the other lumps. I'm scared our little guy has cancer or something. :( Will you please pray for him and if you have any BTDT stories, good or bad, I would like to hear them. Thanks!

sweetpeasmommy
08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
:( :pray4

easygoinmomma
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
:hugheart:pray4

Amber
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
:pray4

domesticzookeeper
08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
:hugheart :pray4

ReedleBeetle
08-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Well, the lump on his side is gone!!! He still needs his surgery for the hernia though. He also was diagnosed today with Coccidia after weeks of diarrhea. :( It had gotten so bad this week that he would roll over or walk and it would just come squirting out. Poor little guy. So I have been cleaning up poo like crazy all week. We are keeping him locked in a bathroom most of the time, but he still gets poopy little paw prints everywhere, even though the poo itself initially makes it in the liter box. Does anyone know how long until we will see improvement??

Amber
08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Did the vet give you some medication for the coccidia? If so, you should see improvement in the next couple of days.

ReedleBeetle
08-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, Albon. He has had 2 doses so far and will get his 3rd dose at about 10AM. So we are almost 36 hours in. He seemed very slightly better this evening. I am hoping in the monring there is significant improvement. However, the vet only told us to have him on it 5 days and everything I am reading says he should be on it up to 3 weeks because the life cycle of coccidia is 3 weeks and that will actually clear it all. So now I am wondering. We have enough to do 3 weeks.....

ReedleBeetle
08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
8/24- We are heading back to the vet again today. He has now had 4 doses of Albon now. He is no better than he was and actually kind of seems even worse. :( So we are going to a different vet today that can get him in sooner. Our vet can only get him in on Thursday and so far they have thrown treatments at us with no tests whatsoever. So we are headed to one that I think will run some tests. They asked a lot of questions about treatment thus far....so....pray we get some answers today. I am really concerned about him and I have never personally seen a cat this sick. :(

racheepoo
08-24-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know the backstory--was this cat adopted or rescued? If so, they should really be liable for some of this cost :shifty

ReedleBeetle
08-24-2010, 12:04 PM
He was adopted from a no kill rescue shelter....with a HUGE, multiple times written signs and papers you have to sign that pretty much say "NO REFUNDS and NOT LIABILE IF YOUR ANIMAL COMES TO YOU SICK". Needless too say, we will not get any more animals from there. Which makes me sad, because I wanna help them, but it is no kill at least....so....:shifty

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Oh...and they wanted to us to take 2 for the price of one. I am SOOOOO glad we didn't! :phew

Johns_Gal
08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Coccidia; it's been a long time since I dealt with that, but I put the kitten on a chicken/rice diet and it helped tremendously. Less irritation, I suppose. I think she just had Clavamox, but it was nowhere near as bad as you describe.

And I'd tell the shelter what's up, so at least they know.

ITU the frustration. I brought home a puppy a few months ago from our pound, and unknown to me, he had parvo. :( Poor dude.

ReedleBeetle
08-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow! I have seen a miracle today! I took Zoda to a new vet at 4PM. On the way there he had a blow out in his carrier, which was kind of good, because they got a good stool sample from it. The vet was AWESOME and they cleaned his cage for me, lined it with clean newspaper, cleaned him up, checked him really good (he had a fever and had lost over 1/2 lb. :( ). They took a longish time running a stool sample for several things and came back to announce he still had hookworms, if he had coccidia he had already cleared it, and he had a horrible bacterial imbalance in his intestines. They gave him Strongid on the spot for the worms and gave me a second dose for 2 weeks from now. They also started him on a 7 day course of Flagyll and said, "You should see improvement within 2-3 days. :)" I gave him the first dose of Flagyll at 5PM and went to a meeting for a few hours. At about 10PM, I went in to the bathroom to check on him, braced for more diarrhea. He was crying and carrying on like he hadn't done for a few days. I opened the door....and the bathroom was clean. :jawdrop I checked the litter box and he had a SEMI-SOLID TURD!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon He has been out since, playing like crazy for the last 3-3.5 hours and purring and loving and rubbing. No accidents at all! SOOOOOO playful! I actually have only seen him this playful 2 days out of the last 3-4 weeks we have had him. And I think his endurance has been better tonight than those nights. He is a different kitty....in only 5 hours. He was so sick at the vet that he was quivering and pooing everywhere. Thank you for your prayers! He is a gonna make it!

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Oh and the vet said since he is on dry food not to change to the chicken and rice, because it could upset his digestion and cause even worse diarrhea....which I think would have killed him, honestly. :shrug3

Weezie
08-25-2010, 05:41 AM
:ptl

ReedleBeetle
08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
NM...it was a fluke. :(

sweetpeasmommy
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
:hugheart

easygoinmomma
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I am so happy that your kitty is feeling better.

Amber
08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Hookworms are nasty little critters. :pray4 you see more improvement.