PDA

View Full Version : I poisoned one of our cats on Friday

SilverMoon
08-08-2010, 06:01 AM
He is somewhat ok. I feel awful. There's nothing I can do right now.

I gave the cats their second deworming treatment on Friday night. Our big orange boy ate all of his food. My long haired beauty decided she didn't want it. I stupidly did not remember to pick up her food, partly because I thought she'd go back to it. In the middle of the night I let our dog out of our room, went to the bathroom, and came back to find the dog licking his lips like he'd eaten something. One of the cats had lost it's meal, and I didn't think anything of it.

In the morning my youngest said George was acting funny. He normally squeaks or meows when picked up and he didn't do either. When left alone, he'd just stood there somewhat stiffly, then would start quivering or twitching. I put him on my bed to observe and saw the facial tremors; petting him I found his body strangely stiff, but he still responded to the petting.
I checked the deworming bottle for active ingredients, looked up poisoning and called the vet. Since it had already been 12 hours and it was most likely him who'd thrown up in the middle of the night, they said to watch his breathing and his eyes. At first he refused breakfast but then went to it and ate most of it.
36 hours later he still has the facial twitches, seems unable to sleep or rest much, and follows anyone willing to look at him. I don't know if he's truly acting off, or if I'm being over vigilant and reading into everything because I do feel awful and guilty. He's only 11.
I asked the vet what the treatment would be if I had to take him in, and it would be i.v. fluids. I don't know if he's had any water, what with 4 cats and a dog drinking from the same two bowls, and I was gone almost all of yesterday.
Can I force feed water to a cat? He's one I could do it with. Kitty burrito out of a towel and a syringe. I just don't want to make the situation worse.

ReedleBeetle
08-08-2010, 07:37 AM
:hugheart I would think you can. I wouldn't do too much at a time, but maybe somewhere between 1/2-1 ounce at a time? Can you call a vet and ask?

Radosny Matka
08-08-2010, 08:32 AM
:hugheart:pray4

ArmsOfLove
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
my friend forced water with a dropper into the corner of the mouth. I would call the vet and ask if you should add sodium/electrolytes and if so then add some sea salt for more minerals.

I'm so sorry--I can see how easily that would happen :( :pray4 :hugheart

sweetpeasmommy
08-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Wormers can be super tricky. Some animals are just more sensitive to it. FWIW I have seen one dog react at the proper dose.

Johns_Gal
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Subcutaneous fluids would probably be easier to get a decent amount into him. I'm sorry, and I hope he's himself again soon.

SilverMoon
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you. He was begging for food this morning like normal. The tremors are barely there now. I mixed a little d.e. And bentonite clay into their food last night and a tiny bit more this a.m.