PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry bushes

Sign Of The Fish Burger
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
We just moved into a new home and I've been doing some lawn/garden re-working. I have a great side area that is perfect for fruit bushes. I was thinking raspberry since they seem to grow well here (I'm in Portland, OR) my SIL has several bushes and gets the most beautiful raspberries ever off them.

So I was wondering, they're all going on sale since it is the end of the season and I was going to buy some. If I bought/planted now would they make it through the winter for next summer? When is the best time to plan raspberry bushes?

RiverRock
08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
If you plant now you will probably get a few berries next year. I'm a few hours north of you and have had great success with raspberries. They multiply quite quickly so you might have friends willing to dig some canes for you. I've gifted plants and every year I seem to pull some out and toss them. Before buying them you might want to ask around to see if you have any friends willing to thin out their bushes for you. Same thing for strawberries and rhubarb. Red currents are easy to propogate, too. If you have a friend with a bush you just need to bury part of a branch while it's still attached to the main bush. Next spring it will have it's own roots and can be transplanted to your garden. I love sharing plants with friends! :heart

Blue Savannah
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree. Don't buy bushes. Those things multiply like rabbits. :giggle

We have first year bushes that have a few berries on them even though we cut them down. :) By next year, though, :yum

Sign Of The Fish Burger
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
If you plant now you will probably get a few berries next year. I'm a few hours north of you and have had great success with raspberries. They multiply quite quickly so you might have friends willing to dig some canes for you. I've gifted plants and every year I seem to pull some out and toss them. Before buying them you might want to ask around to see if you have any friends willing to thin out their bushes for you. Same thing for strawberries and rhubarb. Red currents are easy to propogate, too. If you have a friend with a bush you just need to bury part of a branch while it's still attached to the main bush. Next spring it will have it's own roots and can be transplanted to your garden. I love sharing plants with friends! :heart

Oh man, why can't you live closer!! haha

Amber
08-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Another vote for getting starts from someone who is thinning theirs in the spring. Maybe your SIL could give you some.

Our current raspberry patch is all starts that we put in this spring from MIL's patch. They haven't gotten very big this year (but it hasn't be a great growing year here) but we are hoping next year to have a decent crop of raspberries.

RiverRock
08-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh man, why can't you live closer!! haha
Do you visit Canada very often?

Sign Of The Fish Burger
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Do you visit Canada very often?

Yes, but the other coast :giggle (I am Canadian afterall! Born and raised in New Brunswick)

RiverRock
08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
The furthest East I've been is Ottawa (school program to learn about government processes...I spent a week there). I would like to visit the Atlantic provinces one day. :)

Sign Of The Fish Burger
08-12-2010, 10:58 AM
The furthest East I've been is Ottawa (school program to learn about government processes...I spent a week there). I would like to visit the Atlantic provinces one day. :)

It is an absolutely beautiful part of the world (and I'm not just saying that because I lived there... being away has made me appreciate how beautiful it really is). You definitely need to visit... especially PEI if you or your kids are at all Anne of Green Gables fans :rockon

Macky
08-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm up north, too, and would have no trouble planting some now either. :) If you're excited to go buy and get some in the ground, I'd suggest a plant or two of a golden variety, which I find much sweeter. Red raspberries from friends/neighbours/family can fill out the rest of your patch later, after you get a chance to ask around. Try to find out from whomever you get your plants from, whether they produce on first or second year's growth. That will affect the way you prune. Happy berry growing! :)