PDA

View Full Version : Our new kitten comes home tomorrow!

Weezie
08-04-2010, 06:06 AM
We are going to pick up our new kitten tomorrow, and barring a negative testing for FeLv, we are bringing her home!

My concerns: Even raising kittens as a child, I've never had a kitten this young as my own. (gave all kittens away growing up- allergies)
The mama cat has taught them to eat food and litter box use. What if she doesn't drink enough? How do I know? How do I get more fluids in her?

How to get two cats used to each other? Boo has been alone for over a month now since Fuzz went to Heaven. What are your suggestions? I may run the Pheromone diffuser tomorrow. Would that work?

I will post pics tomorrow- her name is Esther (Essie for short.)

itzj
08-06-2010, 09:32 PM
How are things going? I just saw this.

Watch the stools for dehydration. If she is straining a lot it's a problem. Wet food can help. You shouldn't need to syringe feed.

How are the 2 cats doing? If it's not going well separate them and we'll start over the slow way.

momofmany
08-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Pics:poke

Amber
08-10-2010, 10:01 PM
How is it going with the new kitten?

Weezie
08-11-2010, 04:39 AM
How is it going with the new kitten?

Essie is great! She is an explorer- dh says we should've named her Dora.
She is a snuggler, a lover, a biter (on our toes- she has a fettish about feet and shoes), a playful bundle of new energy.

Couple new things- Jonah our male cat doesn't like her. He runs from her. Mind you he is a 15lb farm cat and is towering over our 1.6lb kitten. How can I make them get along?

She tried to nurse from my neck this morning. She's liek a newborn baby- doesn't sleep thru the night and needs mama to get up with her- she bites my fingers until I do.:giggle I have "tags" on my neck- you know the little brown things? She layed out and I could feel her trying to nurse! I bought a pet bottle and offered it to her but once again no go. I moved her and she fell asleep- she prefers sleeping on her back with her front arms bent. It's ADORABLE!!

When I can figure out how to sync my pics from my phone onto the laptop, I'll post a pic.

SilverMoon
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
You won't be able to make the cats like each other. Give them a lot of time, individual attention, and places for hiding and a way to escape. Keep an eye on their interactions to make sure he doesn't hurt her, but he's more likely to run and hide than attack. Running the pheromone diffuser is a great idea because it'll induce calmness; run it for a few weeks, if you can.
Have 3 litter boxes, one for each cat plus an extra.

Most of all, have fun and take pictures! then post them here.

Weezie
08-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Here is a link to the pictures!! http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=371805