PDA

View Full Version : MAD!! Shelter won't let us have cat we fell in love with

kiloyd
07-27-2010, 02:49 PM
:mad:cry We fell in love with a cat yesterday and were waiting for them to call my landlord and vet. Then they told me today we can't have him. :cry

He is declawed in front (I hate it, but it's not his fault). Anyway the lady said the volunteers said my kids were rambunctious and that declawed cats *might* bite as a defense. Yeah, I know that.

So she's judging my family on one hour instead of me being the mom knowing what's a good fit. I told her that my kids are not like that at home, that the girls (5 and 3) wouldn't do a lot with the cat, it's my 9 yr old and myself that really want the cat.

I thought my kids did really well in the tiny cramped shelter. They stayed by me, they did get on a chair that was already pushed up to the counter and I told them to get off and they did. Then I took them outside while I filled out the paperwork. They really did not do anything wrong, they were just kids, they are 9, 5, and 3, I mean really...

So my son and I were in tears. I mean he cried just as much over this cat we met yesterday as he did when our cat died 3 weeks ago.

I called the two other shelters we have visited and they were both like "I remember you, your kids were good" and "i'm sorry". One of them has some cats we were interested in, we just weren't ready to take one home two weeks ago, now we are ready.

I also wanted to adopt Twizzler from yesterday's shelter because that shelter is overcrowded and the adoption for July is only $40. I know that God knows best but I am heartbroken. :cry

We will keep looking. Thank you for "listening".

poleidopy
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
:hugheart

hopeforchange
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
umm, i would protest to a supervisor. that is *ridiculous*. here you are wanting to rescue a cat from a shelter and you're told no?? :hunh i've never heard of that. i would insist, lol!

Mama Calidad
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
No wonder they're overcrowded if they decline good families! :hugheart :hugheart :hugheart

The cat we brought home two weeks ago apparently came to us with children. We'd happily pawn one off adopt one to you. :hugheart

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Did you mention that your username online is kill lloyd? :shifty :giggle

Blue Savannah
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Definitely call and talk to someone else. That's ridiculous.

SilverMoon
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
The no-kill shelter in our town makes similar decisions, and has told people no to animal adoption. Sometimes it's a good thing, but many times, like in your case, not. The monthly newsletter is full of comments throughout the articles about selfish owners not keeping pets, giving them up for no good reason. The only time I'll have anything to do with them is to report animal abuse.
I hope one of the shelters has a kitty that's a perfect fit for your family.

kiloyd
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
No wonder they're overcrowded if they decline good families! :hugheart :hugheart :hugheart

The cat we brought home two weeks ago apparently came to us with children. We'd happily pawn one off adopt one to you. :hugheart

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Did you mention that your username online is kill lloyd? :shifty :giggle

I'd happily take one, we've now been to 3 shelters, one of them twice.

"kill loyd", no! it's K I LOYD, :lol That woudl sound great, "maam, my username on line is kill loyd, may I have the cat now?". :giggle

I"m thinking that this was the superviser, but I"m not sure.

I was thinking about it and the only thing I can think is that Amanda acted like a 3 yr old. 3 yr olds do not sit still , they walk around. She did not run around wildly at all, and yes, if there is a chair under the counter that looks like a stool, they are going to stand on it!

I just want a cat!!!!!!! Actually two, but dh says only one. I'm tired of looking.

My plan is to call on Monday and ask if he is still there and if he is ask if she will reconsider or then ask for the supervisor. But I really don't want to fight too much, I mean there are a bazillion cats for adoption, we will find one.

mellymommy
07-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Our local shelter is a little over the top with their "standards", too. They actually require a home visit before AND after adoption and a 5-year history of all of your past pets, where they are now and why, etc.

kiloyd
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Our local shelter is a little over the top with their "standards", too. They actually require a home visit before AND after adoption and a 5-year history of all of your past pets, where they are now and why, etc.

I could see if that was up front and I knew it. But really, most (not all) who are willing to take the time to go to a shelter like us and visit with cats for an hour or two and pay the adoption fee are going to give a cat a good home.

This person is pretty much telling me I can't have a declawed cat because my kids might hug it too much and it might bite. Duh! All cats *might* bite, they do have teeth.

mwwr
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, I don't want to hear any sob stories from *that* shelter about animals needing for homes. :mad Do they only place pets in childless homes? Don't they realize that you probably have more education and experience with animals than most of their staff???

Maybe I should see if they will place the cat with D., who only *once* tried to place a cat in boiling water after a medication mix-up. :rolleyes

3PeasInAPod
07-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry! :hugheart

TuneMyHeart
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
:( that's crazy.

I wonder if the person you talked to has gotten attached to the cat or someone else expressed interest in it? :scratch I'm sorry. :hugheart

MarynMunchkins
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
:hunh That's just nuts! Good grief!

:hugheart

kiloyd
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Nope, no one else has looked at him, I asked.

My plan is to call Monday and see if he has been adopted and if he hasn't ask her to reconsider.

Meanwhile, we'll go to back to another shelter Saturday.

I don't think a full shelter should be too picky. Really, a mom and 3 kids wanting to love a cat? too much to ask?

racheepoo
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
:cry

Radosny Matka
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry. That seems....dumb. A cat with claws can bite too. Ask my kids how I know. :shifty :hugheart:pray4

ThirstyTurtle
07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't know anything about cats since I'm very allergic to them and keep away from them, but it would seem like if there was a concern over kids being too "rambunctious", a declawed cat would be better than a clawed one. :shrug3

Abibigail
07-27-2010, 06:38 PM
That's pretty ridiculous.

kiloyd
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I keep thinking back to how my kids behaved and truely they were very good. Maybe they are just the type that think kids should be still and quiet. :shrug3

Blue Savannah
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I'd put on a disguise and go back without the kids. :shifty Maybe not a subtle disguise, either. Maybe those dark glasses/big nose kind of disguises. :giggle

3PeasInAPod
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not...but what if you asked them to come to your house for a home visit?

SilverMoon
07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Seriously, it's a cat. If it is freaked, it'll hide somewhere until it's calm. I understand they don't want the cat to be taken back, but this is over the top.

Johns_Gal
07-27-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd probably stop at the next "free kittens" sign, and go pick out a fuzzball. Alot of times mama is in need of a new home too, if you don't want a baby. In reality, those kittens are headed for the shelter or a back road if they aren't taken.

I get wanting to make sure a cat is well cared for. But... it's a cat. If it's irritated, it's going to run to the top of the bookshelf and glare at the offender.

And I'd probably have a chat with the shelter manager, too. Wonder how many pets have missed out on a great home because of ridiculous nitpicky-ness. :(

Rabbit
07-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Cat bites are scary business. Very different from a clawing. If they had an "event" with a family that did get bit, I could see them deciding that no declawed cats would go to a family with children again.

I'm sorry they're being so stubborn.

Maggie
07-28-2010, 01:49 AM
:hugheart Yes, call and talk to someone else. I agree that it's ridiculous!!

kiloyd
07-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Cat bites are scary business. Very different from a clawing. If they had an "event" with a family that did get bit, I could seem them deciding that no declawed cats would go to a family with children again.

I'm sorry they're being so stubborn.

Yeah, then they need to make it a rule that declawed cats can't go to chidren under x age.

mwwr
07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, then they need to make it a rule that declawed cats can't go to chidren under x age.

Cuz no cat ever goes to a home that adds any more children, right? :rolleyes

ayelet
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I am so sorry. :( So many cats need good homes. I hate when they put those kinds of constraints on adoption.

kiloyd
07-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Cuz no cat ever goes to a home that adds any more children, right? :rolleyes

That was too funny! :lol

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I am so sorry. :( So many cats need good homes. I hate when they put those kinds of constraints on adoption.

I understand that they do have to be selective but really. I think they should have said they have concerns and wanted to ask me some questions first.

I might go back to that shelter , but not until Twizzler is adopted. I cannot go back there and see him in a cage and not be allowed to take him home. I think I will call weekly and see if he's been adopted.

I also REALLY wanted to adopt for $40 not $95 like the other two shelters! wah!!!

There is one on Craigslist that is free I might go see tomorrow.

TuneMyHeart
07-28-2010, 03:49 PM
do you have petsmart near you? they sometimes have specials on adoption fees. a couple weeks ago, a petsmart in greenville, sc had two cats they insisted on being adopted together, and they were offering to waive the adoption fee if you took both.

ayelet
07-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I used to do animal rescue. I was even the senior volunteer for a shelter's cat room. I totally understand that they must make regulations about adoption. Your situation makes no sense though. I've owned and fostered many cats. What they are claiming just isn't my experience and it terrible that they put those kind of restrictions up. Especially right now. Late spring and through summer is the time of year that shelters are flooded with cats and kittens.

kiloyd
07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
I would understand if I let my 3 yr old hold that cat by herself, even though she could, but I had my hands right there on the cat and the couple others we held.

Really the only thing I think "bad" they did was stand on that chair at the counter and stand on the dog scale that was in the bathroom (not jump on it, just stand on it).

I've decided I'm going to write the shelter a letter. Know, what I'll type it here and see what you guys think.

I do have a 5 yr old cat on Craigslist to go see.

Yes, we have a Petsmart and the cats there are from the Bedford shelter , the one near me that I like. It's just that the hours to actually hold the cats are only Tues evening.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

critique please!

Dear Shelter Manager,

On Monday, July 26th, my 3 children and I came to the Manchester Animal Shelter looking to adopt a cat. We found one we loved and filled out the application hoping to take him home that day. I was told they needed to call my landlord and vet and would call me the next day.

My son (9) and I were so excited to finally find a cat that fit our requirements. Affectionate, wanting to be in our lap, tolerable of my 3 yr old holding it, and not talkative. When we were denied my son and I were heartbroken and in tears.

Our 17 yr old cat died almost a month ago. We had her for about 14 years, she was adopted by a humane society in VA. We have been to the Bedford Animal Rescue League twice and the Nashua Humane Society looking for an adult cat to love.

We finally find one we fall in love with and were denied because the volunteers claimed my children were "rambunctious". And a declawed cat might bite in defense. Yes, I know that, I've been around cats and dogs all my life and spent 4 years in the vet industry. Twizzler reacted very well to each one of my children holding him, they are 9, 5 1/2, and 3.

My children stayed in each room with me and did well moving out of the way in the small space in the hallway when people needed to walk by. Yes, my two daughters (5 1/2 and 3) did stand on a chair that was already pushed up to the counter and I told them to get down and they did. I felt like they did very well in the small space of the shelter.

I'm asking you to please reconsider allowing Twizzler (1 yr old black male) to come be a part of our family.

Sincerely,
Katherine

I had indents when I typed it!

domesticzookeeper
07-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow...that's just ridiculous on their part :hugheart

Rabbit
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
critique please!

Dear Shelter Manager,

On Monday, July 26th, my 3 children and I came to the Manchester Animal Shelter looking to adopt a cat. We found one we loved, Twizzler, a 1 yr old black male, and filled out the application hoping to take him home that day. I was told they needed to call my landlord and vet and would call me the next day.

My son (9) and I were so excited to finally find a cat that fit our requirements. Affectionate, wanting to be in our lap, tolerable of my 3 yr old holdingtouching it, and not talkative. When we were denied, my son and I were heartbroken and in tears.

Our 17 yr old cat died almost a month ago. We had her for about 14 years; she was adopted by from a humane society in VA. We have been to the Bedford Animal Rescue League twice, and the Nashua Humane Society, looking for an adult cat to love.

We finally find one we fall in love with and were denied because the volunteers claimed my children were "rambunctious", and a declawed cat might bite in defense. Yes, I know that, I've been around cats and dogs all my life and spent 4 years in the vet industry. Twizzler reacted very well to each one of my children holding him. They are 9, 5 1/2, and 3.

My children stayed in each room with me and did well moving out of the way in the small space in the hallway when people needed to walk by. Yes, my two daughters (5 1/2 and 3) did stand on a chair that was already pushed up to the counter and I told them to get down and they did. I felt like they did very well in the small space of the shelter.

I'm asking you to please reconsider allowing Twizzler (1 yr old black male) to come be a part of our family.

Sincerely,
Katherine

I had indents when I typed it!

I would not make any effort to defend your children or parenting in this way. The cat reacts well to your children. Your children react well to the cat. You are an experienced animal handler. The end.

I used strikethroughs and bold to indicate the changes I suggest.

Maggirayne
07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Looks good!

kiloyd
07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks. I made the changes and will mail it today.

kiloyd
07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
We went to a pool party today and one of the moms told me that this shelter wouldn't let her and her dh adopt a dog because they had a child. :hunh:scratch

No wonder this shelter is overcrowded. Wonder if there is more going on that I don't know.

racheepoo
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Wow, that breaks my heart. They'd rather keep animals there in a tiny cage because they have some ridiculous notion of perfect families with no messy lives the animal might have to navigate? :sigh

Amber
07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
That shelter is crazy.

kiloyd
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM
That shelter is crazy.

:yes yup!

I did find a new animal rescue called Animal Allies. It's in the same area. I'm going to call and talk to them before I drive the 40 min.

JavaMama
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow... that is seriously crazy! The shelters around here keep having 2 for 1 cat adoptions because they are so overcrowded (cats and dogs both).

I hope you find the perfect kitty!

poleidopy
07-30-2010, 04:50 AM
I keep thinking about this situation and it makes me so sad. :( Our shelter has $10 Tuesdays where they neuter/spay for only $10 because there are just SO. MANY. CATS. ANd they often have special deals where you can get 2 for the price of 1 or a really reduced rate or whatever. It's just absolutely stupid that they didn't let you have this cat.:-/

kiloyd
07-30-2010, 05:16 AM
It is stupid.

There normal fee is $75, for the month of July it's $40.

Whatever, I just heard about another shelter, it's an hour away but is very nice. I'm going to call them, we can make it a beach trip.

What upsets me most is the poor cat is still living in a cage!

ayelet
07-30-2010, 06:38 AM
What upsets me most is the poor cat is still living in a cage!

That's the worst feeling. I stopped volunteering in the shelter because I couldn't handle working with the cats that never got adopted and eventually just disappeared from the cage one day. It was unspoken, but everyone knows what happens. :cry

We adopted two cats last December from our local shelter. It was so hard to resist taking them all from their cages. :(

kiloyd
07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
It's supposed to be a no-kill shelter.

mwwr
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
It's supposed to be a no-kill shelter.

There you have it; they saw your name-- kill-loyd, and they knew *you* were trouble!!

ritalou
07-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Writing a letter to the editor after you get your final answer might be a good idea. If I was financially supporting a no kill shelter that discriminated in such a way, I would want to know. Let's be honest, if they are "full" they are killing animals by forfeit.
Sorry they were so prejudiced against your family.

Rabbit
07-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Was it the shelter worker or manager who turned you guys down? I might be somewhat concerned that she is responsible for turning people down without her the shelter's administration being fully aware of just what sorts of families she's rejecting. They may think that because they're known to be overcrowded, they attract all the reject families.

kiloyd
07-31-2010, 08:14 PM
There you have it; they saw your name-- kill-loyd, and they knew *you* were trouble!!

:haha smarty pants:P~

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Writing a letter to the editor after you get your final answer might be a good idea. If I was financially supporting a no kill shelter that discriminated in such a way, I would want to know. Let's be honest, if they are "full" they are killing animals by forfeit.
Sorry they were so prejudiced against your family.

I like that idea!

I don't know which person was responsible for declining us. The volunteer who showed us the cats was nice. I didn't have a good feeling for the girl at the front counter, she's the one that didn't really give me a straight answer about calling my vet and landlord.