PDA

View Full Version : How to Use Up Baby Carrots?

RealLifeMama
07-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I ordered 5 pounds of carrots from my produce co-op, expecting large carrots that I could shred with the salad master, and instead I wound up getting 10 pounds of baby carrots! Blech, I hate baby carrots in bags. Ten bags of baby carrots. They don't even look all that great, so I don't really want to eat them raw. They are too short to grate or shred.
I suppose I could use the food processer if I got desperate, but what even to do with them?

I don't want to waste them, but aside from just cooking them and serving them, what can I do with them?

Cat
07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
i've used them in soups, stews, stirfrys when i needed to

ilikestrawberryjello
07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Carrot Cake!! mmm...cream cheese icing (pregnancy speaking!!)

relizabeth
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
You could pulverize them to bits in the food processor, freeze them in little baggies, and add them to taco filling, meatloaf, stew, ad nauseam (not really ;) ) for the next 3 months.

ncsweetpea
07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Carrot souffle!

There are those muffins that have carrots, pineapples and raisins. That would be yummy!

swimming with sharks
07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm voting for cutting them all up and freezing them and then adding them as needed to things. :yes

Kindle Mama
07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I read the title and automatically thought- carrot cake :D and I'm not pregnant :giggle

itzj
07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
They are divine roasted with olive oil, garlic powder and salt. I could easily eat a pound quite quickly.

Carrot soup is good too.

RealLifeMama
07-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks!

Dana, do you have a recipe for those muffins? I have quite a bit of pineapple, also- I have one already cut up and three waiting to be cut, so that is faster than we can eat it. Using it in muffins would be good.

Also, carrot soup sounds really, really good. I think I saw a recipe for carrot ginger soup once. Anyone have a good recipe?

I :heart cream cheese icing, but I developed an aversion of carrot cake during one of my pregnancies.

ncsweetpea
07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Try this one:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-morning-glory-muffins/Detail.aspx

The one I have is gluten free and I don't think you all require that, do you?

Aerynne
07-15-2010, 08:45 PM
You can cook them with a pot roast and potatoes in the crock pot. I like using baby carrots for that because you can throw them in whole. I put carrots in most of my soups- minestrone, corn chowder, and the other various soups I make up. You can also throw a few into a smoothie when you make one. Blended up you can put them in cheese sauce as well- makes it nice and orange.

Ellen
07-15-2010, 09:00 PM
A second vote for carrot souffle. I have a yummy recipe if you need one. My kids gobble it up.

jandjmommy
07-16-2010, 07:35 AM
You could pulverize them to bits in the food processor, freeze them in little baggies, and add them to taco filling, meatloaf, stew, ad nauseam (not really ;) ) for the next 3 months.

Yes! I shred them with my fp attachment, then puree them in the blender with a small amount of water (my cheap blender can't handle baby carrots whole.) Baggies or ice cube tray in the freezer--great in pp's suggested entrees, plus red sauce and pancakes.

RealLifeMama
07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
A second vote for carrot souffle. I have a yummy recipe if you need one. My kids gobble it up.

That sounds interesting. If you have time, I'd appreciate the recipe.

Quiteria
07-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I LOVE carrot souffle!!! I used to eat it at a particular restaurant as a child. That would be an awesome recipe to have. :heart

In the Tightwad Gazzette, the author mentions having to deal with an excess of cooked baby carrots after a big church dinner. She pureed them in the blender and substituted for pumpkin puree in her favorite pie recipe. I think it would be a nice change, and really good with a bit of ginger in the seasoning. I've been wanting to try it ever since I read it. :giggle

Would you guys eat any as snacks, with dip? I'm eating some with hummus right now...

abh5e8
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
make tons of hummus!!!

RealLifeMama
07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Would you guys eat any as snacks, with dip? I'm eating some with hummus right now...

They don't look good enough for eating raw. Each bag has a couple bad carrots, and so I'd rather cook them.

I will look around for a carrot souffle recipe.

Ellen
07-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Here's the recipe I make. It isn't a real souffle (doesn't puff up like one) but it's delicious. I double the original recipe and make a few changes, so I wrote it out as I make it.

Carrot Soufflé

2 lbs. carrots Peel, cook and drain. Cut carrots in pieces and cook until the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Put carrots and following items in blender or food processor. Blend until consistency of a milkshake.

4 oz. melted butter (original recipe calls for twice this)

6 eggs

1/2 c sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
(you can experiment with how much sweetener to use. The original recipe calls for 1 c sugar; I added the maple syrup. I think I've even made it with less sugar than this; it always turns out well.)

6T flour

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp salt

Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until just firm. You can serve warm or cold.

ncsweetpea
07-16-2010, 07:45 PM
My carrot soufflé is similar. I use gfflour and it turns ot fine. So good with ham, chicken and turkey.

In fact, this one dish convinced my husband he might ought to marry me!

We sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and use whatever sugar I have in the recipe--usually raw. Blend it as smooth as possible for the best puff and texture.

RealLifeMama
07-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I made the carrot souffle tonight, but used 1/2 c sugar instead of maple syrup. Four out of the 6 of us really liked it. :tu