PDA

View Full Version : roasted red pepper and chicken soup

believer
07-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I made a yummy soup last night! I was using stuff up that was in my pantry and fridge so it is an unusual mix, but it was totally delicious.
First, we had a roasted chicken from a store the night before, so I took off the rest of the chicken meat and set it aside and boiled the bones along with a ziploc of veggie trimmings I had in my freezer and a few fresh veggies to make stock. I only boiled it for about 3 hours, but that was the amount of time I had.

Then for the soup I used:
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 can light coconut milk
1 small jar of roasted red peppers - drained and blended with the stock in vitamix
fresh corn sliced off of one corn cob
1/2 fresh yellow squash - diced
1 garden fresh tomato - diced
chicken (from the roasted chicken) - diced
1/8 cup quinoa - rinsed first and a little amaranth too tossed in
salt
pepper
fresh garlic - pressed - small clove

First I blended the roasted red peppers with some of the stock in the vitamix
Then I cooked all of it for about 15 or 20 minutes and added the fresh lime juice near the end.

It was terrific and there were no leftovers - dh, oldest dd and I ate all of it.

It would be good with cilantro but we did not have any.

Garland
07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. :)

jenn3514
08-29-2010, 12:13 PM
That sounds awesome!

RealLifeMama
08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
That sounds yummy!
I have a peck of red peppers to use up, and was going to try roasting some, so maybe I will be able to give it a try.

doubleblessings
08-29-2010, 12:16 PM
:rockon I love roasted red pepper in soup. I make a turkey or chicken soup with roasted red peppers, corn and black beans.

jenn3514
08-29-2010, 12:27 PM
:rockon I love roasted red pepper in soup. I make a turkey or chicken soup with roasted red peppers, corn and black beans.

That sounds good also!

Maggirayne
08-29-2010, 01:23 PM
:yum

expatmom
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
yum!

klpmommy
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM

Sounds yummy. Can I get the recipe?

doubleblessings
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
sort of... (it's not going to be very exact :giggle sorry)

I usually boil the leftovers from a roasted turkey or chicken (cover it with water and boil for um... a while :shrug3 maybe 30 min or 1 hour). Then I cool a bit and put it in a strainer. Then I pick off some of the meat and add it back into the broth. I season with some cumin, garlic, salt and paprika. I add canned or precooked black beans - depends on how much broth I have how many beans (I don't put the juice from the beans). I add some corn -I put a little less corn than beans :shrug3 (usually frozen or niblet type). I add roasted red peppers (I sometimes roast my own in summer, but usually I buy a jar) -include some of the juice - if they are not cut up I cut them. Before I was not having gluten I would also add some torn up flour tortillas (I would freeze ones that were getting a bit stale and then throw them in the soup - or fresh ones work well too).

Sometimes I add shredded cheese or sour cream when I serve it.