PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the house ready for an inspection? *UPDATE -all done!*

poleidopy
07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
I asked in another forum, but since it wasn't the appropriate forum I guess, I didn't get any responses.:shifty

We are (hopefully!) getting our new dog next week. The breeder/owner is coming out to meet us and inspect our house. I'm very nervous & want to make sure we meet his criteria for an adoptive home. What kinds of things do you think he will be looking for? :nails

domesticzookeeper
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm assuming your home is probably already child-proofed, so just double check anything dangerous that may be at puppy eye level, things they could chew or get into, etc. :shrug3

poleidopy
07-08-2010, 01:24 PM
should I worry about cords? They are all behind/under the little table the computer sits on, but there are masses of them and the dog *will* be small enough to get to them if he wants.

afternoonrain
07-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Inspection or not, I would try to make sure that the puppy can't get to the cords. curious little creatures! And that things are clean/picked up/taken care of. Generally, I think that breeders just want to see that you take care of things that you have, so that they can trust that you can care for a live animal...that the dog will be in a decently clean environment, that your home life isn't so chaotic that a new member would stress you out (to the point where you might re-home the animal,) etc.

Hope it goes well!

poleidopy
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Inspection or not, I would try to make sure that the puppy can't get to the cords. curious little creatures! And that things are clean/picked up/taken care of. Generally, I think that breeders just want to see that you take care of things that you have, so that they can trust that you can care for a live animal...that the dog will be in a decently clean environment, that your home life isn't so chaotic that a new member would stress you out (to the point where you might re-home the animal,) etc.

Hope it goes well!

Well, things in my house are usually picked up/clean/taken care of. :thumbsup The ONLY thing I have slacked on at all in the past few months is mopping :bag so I'm going to do that before he comes. I wasn't worried about the cords for the inspection, but for safety. I don't want a fried doggy! :crazy So...how do I deal with them? It's a weird corner. There is a little square table on it that holds the computer monitor (out TV screen) and the computer, then under is the mass of cords, but I can't gather them all together and stick them in a tube or anything because of the sheer number of them. And there is an outlet being used on each side, so it will be difficult to gather them together. Plus, they need to be accessible should DH need to get to them. Is there anything I can safely wrap around them? The area is too weird-shaped to be blocked off too. I'm just at a complete loss as to what to do with the wires! :doh

ETA- what if I were to gather the mass together and put it in a basket, and then put the basket under the table? That would only leave about 1' of cord on each side from the outlet to the basket, and the basket would be too tall (and too close to the top of the table) for the dog to get into it. But what could I use to cover the cords that stil stick out 1'? :think

Johns_Gal
07-12-2010, 09:12 AM
You might ziptie the cords together, makes less temptation that way. I spritzed mine down with bitter apple, and watched puppies/kittens very carefully.

poleidopy
07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
You might ziptie the cords together, makes less temptation that way. I spritzed mine down with bitter apple, and watched puppies/kittens very carefully.
Does that stuff really work? I was hesitant to buy it because I wasn't sure...
if so, that's a good idea, just as an extra precaution after whatever else I do. :think

I definitely plan to keep a close eye on him. The boys are not allowed to be alone with him and for awhile I think I will keep him on a leash next to me at all times, for his own safety as well as the safety of my house. I don't know if he will chew things or spray in the house (Gosh, I hope not!) so I'll be taking every precaution. Gotta earn my trust, LOL!

ArmsOfLove
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I've never had my home inspected for a pet like you'll be having so I haven't known what to suggest. I suspect that is the main hindrance to getting responses :)

blessedwithboys
07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
If it's a rescue, one of the primary things they'll be interested in is the security of your fence. When I did home visits for a rescue, that was one of the main reasons we were even doing a home visit.

poleidopy
07-12-2010, 09:35 AM
I've never had my home inspected for a pet like you'll be having so I haven't known what to suggest. I suspect that is the main hindrance to getting responses :)

Yeah, that's what I figured. ;) No worries. I'm probably just worrying over nothing anyway. The word "inspection" just kinda freaks me out a bit, LOL.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

If it's a rescue, one of the primary things they'll be interested in is the security of your fence. When I did home visits for a rescue, that was one of the main reasons we were even doing a home visit.

Nope, not a rescue. Directly from a breeder. But he isn't charging us for his "son" :shifty so I thought maybe he just wanted to check and make sure we weren't backyard breeders or something like that. And I just went to Lowes and bought 20' of fence to cover the part of our yard that's not fenced. I'm going to bury the bottom so he can't dig under. I figure that will be a temporary fix until we get the gate built (it spans across the driveway.)

afternoonrain
07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
What kind of puppy is it? :lol I'm all curious and nosy and such...

poleidopy
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
What kind of puppy is it? :lol I'm all curious and nosy and such...

I'm not sure if he is considered a puppy or a dog. :think He is only 10 mos old. Does that still make him a puppy? Teenager? LOL, I dunno. ANyway, he is an American Hairless Terrier. Some are spotted, some are solid. I think ours is a solid slate color. And I hear their skin feels like latex, or like petting a seal, since they have absolutely no body hair, just whiskers. They look like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/AHT5.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/AHT4.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/AHT3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/AHT1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/AHT2.jpg

StumblinMama
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
:melting Oh.my.word.
I have no idea on the inspection, but that dog is adorable!

MomtoJGJ
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I would probably try to have the kids semi clean, a special place for the dog (pillow, bed, crate with padding, or something else squishy) and sweep/vacuum :)

Johns_Gal
07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I used to know a guy who bred Chinese Cresteds; they are surprisingly pleasant to pet. No doggy odor, either.

I'm excited for you. :) And the little dog, who sounds like he is going to be so spoiled. In a good, nonbratty way, I mean. :lol

afternoonrain
07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
My Frederick is half chinese crested...his father kind of resembled the American hairless terrier (skinnier face, different build...well, I guess they aren't that similar except for the spots and the no hair:)

poleidopy
07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I would probably try to have the kids semi clean, a special place for the dog (pillow, bed, crate with padding, or something else squishy) and sweep/vacuum :)

all done. I am so ' out...he is going to be here in TEN MINUTES!!! Gosh, I am sweating so hard, LOL.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

UPDATE: It's all over - we got him! I'll start a new thread w/pics.

Maggirayne
07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh fun! Er, wait, the breeder, not the dog.:doh Those are cute!