PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a "Gentle Leader?" Worth it?

poleidopy
07-02-2010, 06:08 AM
We are getting a small breed dog, which we have never had before. An American Hairless Terrier (DS is allergic to hair but not dander :shrug ) One of the recommended products was a Gentle Leader. I saw someone selling one locally for just a few bucks, so I wondered if it was worth snatching up. ANybody use one?

StumblinMama
07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
I haven't, but my mom used one and loved it. :yes

domesticzookeeper
07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
I have used one before. It didn't work with our dog. He would still jerk and pull, and frankly, he was so strong that I was concerned about doing damage to his spine. IME, they can be useful but definitely need to be used properly (i.e. no tugging, pulling, etc) :shrug3

Stacy
07-02-2010, 07:33 AM
We had a Jack Russel Terrier and used a GL on him. It did not go well. He would sit down, roll, and paw at it frantically. He actually dug his cheek/lip flesh up with his dew claws, poor guy. I love love love the idea of them, but for my dog? Not so much. I have seen what appear to be gentle, well mannered dogs because of them, tho. Definitely couldn't hurt to try!

Amber
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
The only way I will walk my dog is when she is wearing her gentle leader :shifty

Making sure the gentle leader fits properly is key, otherwise they will learn how to slip it off, and it won't work like it should. You also have to be really careful that you are not jerking or pulling sharply on it.

DaltonsMomma
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
We love ours and I wouldn't be able to walk our lab/chow mix with out it. However, we have to use a regular collar and leash as a backup because our dog is capable of getting it off. She usually leaves it on just fine, but when she wants it off she gets it off fast.

If you can get it cheaply it's worth a try. I know it works great for my parent's small breed dogs. :)

ericaness
07-13-2010, 08:19 AM
i love the gentle leader. it saved my sanity when my lab was a puppy. he still doesn't like to wear it, but i figure it is better than the way he strains his neck using just a regular collar. we tried a harness too, but he was still able to pull me over using the harness. we've been considering getting one for our dachshund, even though he is small enough that he doesnt pull me behind him, he still pulls on his collar too much when he sees another dog.

poleidopy
07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah, so we just got the dog last night and he is totally NOT leash trained. He is terrified of everything and cowers and won't move. Not even from room to room. SO I think I will be investing in the gentle leader. I don't want to hurt his neck, you know? :( Poor little guy.