PDA

View Full Version : Bringing dog camping for the first time, advice?

Indigo
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
The title pretty much sums it up. Our pup is almost a year old, and we will be taking him camping this weekend for the first time in our pop up. I want to be sure I have all the bases covered. So far I have:
*documentation of his breed, vaccinations, health
*crate, sleeping pad, toys to chew on
*food, bones, dishes
*extra leashes & collars, tie out & ground stake
*Odor Out type of stuff, in case he gets skunked or otherwise smelly
*Natures Miracle, in case of accident in camper or car
*he has been flea & tick treated

Is there anything I'm missing? Any tips for bringing dogs camping?
TIA.

Amber
06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
You should take some little baggies to pick up poop in.

YolandaWELS
06-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I guess my only tips are 1)figure on spending all your time with the dog (and share the load) 2)find a place to let him romp off leash (if you can trust him to be off leash in the woods) and 3) when tying the dog up in the campsite, don't tie him to the tent or the picnic table - find a tree off to the side and give him just enough rope to reach the edge of the picnic table, tent, fire ring, etc.

It's nice to have a tent that can be set up by one person - IT'S SO MUCH EASIER.

We also try to get a site at the end of the "block" so we only have one neighbor to contend with. Don't forget a tired dog is a good dog - take him hiking etc... wear him out so there is less barking / whining if another dog walks by.

Bring extra hotdogs! :)

Indigo
06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Just wanted to pop back & let you know we had a fabulous first camping trip w/the dog. He was as good as gold. There were a lot of new things for him to get used to - being tied out (we have a fenced yard at home), long car ride, new crate, new environment - and although he was nervous, he handled it really well. Thank you for the replies & support.

Johns_Gal
06-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh good. :)

We used to take ours, but all these teeny yorkies/midsized poodles roamed free off leash and were always attacking him. :( Kind of funny to see a big pitt/gsd mix looking at you like "oh, make her STOP" while a rude little yorkie is going ballistic all around him. :lol

Indigo
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh good. :)

We used to take ours, but all these teeny yorkies/midsized poodles roamed free off leash and were always attacking him. :( Kind of funny to see a big pitt/gsd mix looking at you like "oh, make her STOP" while a rude little yorkie is going ballistic all around him. :lol

I know what you mean! Ours is a pit mix and I was worried that people might perceive her as dangerous, etc. She was perfectly well behaved and as lovable and obedient as ever. It was the little dogs that were barking non-stop, fighting, and running away!

kiloyd
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm glad your trip went well. You had all the stuff listed well.