PDA

View Full Version : Bumps on Upper Arms?

Marsha
06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
My upper arms, more toward the back, iow the fleshy part has gotten real bumpy. Small bumps, you can hardly see them, they almost look like tons of mini skin tags but rougher. I've really only noticed it in the past couple of months, and worse in the past month.

any ideas what it could be?

mamajane
06-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I've always (since adolescence?) had bumpy upper arms. i think it's called itchythyosis (phonetic spelling, no idea on the real spelling). Sun can help, otherwise, if it really bothers you, I think you can get some kind of cream at the doctors'. I've never used it, not worth it with pregnancy/nursing esp.

Psyche
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Keratosis pilaris?

4MKfam
06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
:yes Without pictures, it sounds like keratosis pilaris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris). I've had it since age 10 -on my arms and occasionally on my face. It's genetic. Lots of ideas on what you can do, no one "magic bullet" that works for every person every time. Moisturizing, sun exposure, and Omega-3 oils seem to be solutions that work for many.

AmyDoll
06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
salycilc acid :rockon
Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash might clear it right up

Rabbit
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm using a neutrogena face wash with salicylic acid and little scrubber beads, and it's doing the trick. I get them every pregnancy, and they take awhile to disappear again.

Marsha
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Keratosis pilaris?

Yep!!! And ummm, I've been out of my omega-3 for about 2 months. Thanks!

sweetpeasmommy
06-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Crystal's shalomtion really cleared up my KP. There's a big ol thread if you search here for keriatosis pilaris. You could also try increasing your coconut oil intake internally and also using coc. oil right after showering while still wet.

bliss
06-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Tanning (sun, not booth) helps mine...but if you're interested, you can squeeze/pick them like a whitehead. :shifty
Signed,
An Obsessed Dermatillomaniac :bag

cobluegirl
06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
yup all the above...LOL

mamajane
06-22-2010, 10:16 AM
i think it's called itchythyosis (phonetic spelling, no idea on the real spelling). .
That's funny, the name of it must have morphed in my brain over the years! Thanks for the real name:giggle

CrunchySeaSalt
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
DD has KP. I noticed sun and greasy suntan lotion really help.

picking at them can cause scarring and it hurts her (before I knew what it was I picked/scratched one) :(

It's a form of extra keratin or whatever that is in our nails.

jennyven
06-24-2010, 12:10 AM
My husband has these and so does DD1. I didn't think about it until reading this post, but her skin does improve in summer when she is running about outside wearing as little clothing as possible. :D

Lantern Light Mama
06-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Got it here too along with one of the kiddo. They do look like little zits sometimes. KP is just hard not to pick!

mamajane
06-24-2010, 07:16 AM
KP is just hard not to pick!
:yes

TuneMyHeart
06-24-2010, 07:25 AM
the girls and I get these after eating corn. it goes away if I keep us away from corn.

Marsha
06-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Ah! I wonder if mine is dairy related or something. I hate it when things keep telling me to lay off the cheese and icecream!!!

Lantern Light Mama
06-25-2010, 01:09 AM
I was at the shore today and I seriously thought about exfoliating with sand. :lol:blush

Marsha
06-25-2010, 05:27 AM
My girls call them my goosebumps. They like to rub my upper arms, and honestly it was they that alerted me to it, I had vaguely noticed but not really.

BlessedBlue
06-25-2010, 05:42 AM
the girls and I get these after eating corn. it goes away if I keep us away from corn.

This has been my experience as well.

Ah! I wonder if mine is dairy related or something. I hate it when things keep telling me to lay off the cheese and icecream!!!

:hug A friend's son had KP on his back. It went away when he went dairy free.

Marsha
06-25-2010, 05:46 AM
But, but, but, I just bought that keytag thing from Wendy's and talk dd2 into Wendy's instead of McDonald's so I get a free Frosty!!! LOL

Cat
06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
I was at the shore today and I seriously thought about exfoliating with sand. :lol:blush

it worked for me! if i lived on a beach i'd have perfect skin, i believe!!:lol

macksmom
07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I got it after my ds was born...never really had it before. Does seem to be improving with daily exfoliating :)

Ima LeShalosh
07-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I have had KP since I was very young. The reason sun helps is because it is a classic sign of a vitamin D deficiency. Increased Vit D will clear it up if you do not want to use anything external. The Neutrogena Sesame Oil is wonderful and takes it away.

Taedareth
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I read somewhere that the bumps on the arms can be a symptom of vitamin A & D deficiency. In which case, a daily dose of cod liver oil can help greatly. But you'll need a brand that is free of synthetic vitamins (which are generally ineffective at best or toxic at worst). Blue Ice cod liver oil is the only brand I know if that is synthetic-free.

Redeemed
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I've had KP since I was a child also, but never knew what it was called. I have it on both of my upper arms.

I do have a Vit D deficiency as well, so perhaps it will go away since I'm on a Vit D supplement. ;)

I read somewhere that the bumps on the arms can be a symptom of vitamin A & D deficiency. In which case, a daily dose of cod liver oil can help greatly. But you'll need a brand that is free of synthetic vitamins (which are generally ineffective at best or toxic at worst). Blue Ice cod liver oil is the only brand I know if that is synthetic-free.