PDA

View Full Version : Cat eye problem

Kiera
06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
My now almost 10yr old cat started showing signs of perhaps glaucoma a year ago. The vets I took him to could never test for it because they didn't have the pressure testing gadget, but one vet did say to use some eyedrops to see if it is just a clogged duct and so we did. It got better and was weeping liquid. Now it is sort of just staying the same - yet I haven't given him the eyedrops everyday :bag so maybe I'll try that. I am so worried it is a tumor, or that I am torturing him. He seems ok, happy and comfortable. Has anyone experienced this with their cat? There was another medicated eyedrop she said to use and it is one you do for 2 weeks and use another med and then switch back and forth. It's not like I can continue taking him to vets for no reason.:blush

Amber
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I would take him to a different vet and get his eye rechecked. You can ask when you make the appointment if they will be able to check the pressure in his eye since glaucoma is a concern. It bothers me a little that the vet doesn't have the instrument to test for eye pressure, while it isn't something you use every day, it is used often enough (especailly with some dog breeds that are known for eye problems) that the vet should have one :shifty

If left untreated eye problems can get very nasty, very quick.

Kiera
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
The problem is I keep calling vets and NONE of them have one. I forget but I vaguely remember one saying they needed a cat one. I'm just going to keep calling. I wish they could treat him for glaucoma without testing - what would it hurt? I don't think it'd be as bad as leaving it untreated just because we can't find out for sure whether or not it's glaucoma kwim? My poor boy... he's like my first born - I saved him when I was 16 and he was found at about 2 weeks (I crawled under the road to get him) :sad

Amber
06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
:hugheart That is strange that none of the vets have them. Every vet office I worked with has had them.

I hope you find some answers soon.