PDA

View Full Version : Help! I Don't Know What to Do!

susannah
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Here is what is going on: DS (5) and DH had a quarrel while I was taking a nap with DD (1). DH sent DS to bed b/c he was obviously tired, however DS kept getting up. I came in and after a quick assessment realized that DS was probably more hungry and thirsty than tired and fixed him a plate of food and a drink of water after talking it over with DH. DS sat at the table and began to eat. Then he got up and poured his water out and said he knew that I was tricking him about that water (no idea what he means here, that was all I could get out of him) so I fixed him another glass of water and told him how important it was to keep our bodies hydrated. (There's a heat index of over 100* and our air conditioner is not really keeping up, so it really is a valid concern since he's been outside most of the running, playing, bike riding... sweating). So he took a big swig of water, until his cheeks were bulging and then pressed on his cheeks so that the water came out all over his food. Then he started crying that he doesn't like gross, wet food. This is where I'm out of ideas? Does he eat the food on his plate? Do I fix him another plate? Do I just let it go and assume he'll come back when he's really hungry? Anything is appreciated.

If I had a day to think about the situation, I might be able to come up with something, but I kind of need something now.

MarynMunchkins
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Oy. Tired, hungry, hot 5 yo. :crazy2

I think I'd be inclined to give him a popsicle and then send him to bed, either to nap or rest. None of his behavior is appropriate, but neither is mine when I'm tired, hungry, and hot. :shifty