PDA

View Full Version : Boundaries with Kids, by Cloud and Townsend--anyone read it?

teamommy
06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I have seen their book "Boundaries" recommended many times and from different sources, but at my library I also saw the version for parenting.

I am only a little ways in but so far it is very good and helping me think about how I will parent my children from age 5-6+, to learn to develop internal boundaries and responsibility for their actions. It does talk about consequences and not much about whether the consequences are related, so it might not be completely GBD (not sure yet). I wanted to see if anyone here had read it, or wants to, and what they thought?

Iarwain
06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I read it. Actually we studied it in a moms' small group several years ago. Some of it was really, really good and some of it not so much. One thing that particularly stood out to me was talking about little children (I think the example used a 3 yo) wanting to be with their mothers and assuming selfish or manipulative intent. :-/ There were other things that I think some people might disagree with but there was some good stuff too.

tigerlily
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I haven't read Boundaries with Kids, but I have perused their advice column in the MOPS magazine.

I would say be wary -- they definitely have a punitive bent (although it might not be as bad as others, since they do stress responsibility).

Katigre
06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I would guess that when applied to older children, their advice would be pretty good. But when applied to babies/toddlers/young ones it would wind up being punitive.

Iarwain
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I would guess that when applied to older children, their advice would be pretty good. But when applied to babies/toddlers/young ones it would wind up being punitive.

That's probably accurate. I already had older children when I read it and I remember thinking they didn't seem to have a very good grasp on normal child development for little ones. It has been a few years, though.

mwwr
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
That's probably accurate. I already had older children when I read it and I remember thinking they didn't seem to have a very good grasp on normal child development for little ones. It has been a few years, though.

:yes, IIRC.

mommy2abigail
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty certain they support spanking too. I believe I remember reading a page on in the original Boundaries book. :-/

sweetpeasmommy
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
You can learn everything you need to know about boundaries for kids here. :gcm

teamommy
06-13-2010, 10:31 PM
You can learn everything you need to know about boundaries for kids here. :gcm

I love GCM, too. :heart

But I like books, and I like to read different perspectives, too, as long as they aren't way outside of my discipline paradigm. And I'm thinking forward, too, when in a few years I'll have a teenager. :jawdrop

Thanks to all for the heads up about the book. I am thinking more of my older child as I read. I haven't come across much about little ones yet.