PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to be more proactive...

Blue-EyedLady
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
... In providing a GBD viewpoint to other moms. So I'm providing a scenario, and asking for tips for how one handles such a situation, in hopes that I can help other moms parent more gently.

Sample scenario that happened today. Mom is picking up her DDs from VBS. She tells DD1 to go get her Bible (from another room). DD1 gets it and comes back, but mom doesn't notice because she's chatting with me. As they get ready to walk out, I remind DD2 (my student) to grab her Bible, which is sitting next to me. Mom yells at both girls to get their Bibles, and smacks DD1 on the shoulder with the back of her hand for not getting her Bible when she was told to. I jump in, saying, "She's got it right there in her hand!" Mom says, "oh, sorry" and they turn to go. DD1 is rubbing her arm where she got hit. :bheart

I'm sure my face registered shock that the mom would hit her DD in church, in front of me, for something so minor as not picking up her Bible! My tone was probably not terribly gracious - it was a gut reaction kind of thing, kwim? I have seen this mom in the past belittle her girls in front of others, shame them, etc. And she told me that they spank. The family is very involved in our church, and the mom sometimes watches my son in church nursery. They're good people, who are on the journey to Christ-likeness, just like everyone else, but it breaks my heart to see how she parents her girls!

Thoughts? Discussion?

Blue-EyedLady
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
:bump

GranolanRainbows
06-11-2010, 05:17 PM
:popcorn

Kiara.I
06-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't know, I bet I do the shocked face, too. Are you looking for how you could respond in the moment? Or how you could approach her now? Or what?

How you respond in the moment is so hard to figure out, because it is *so* dependent on *exactly* what happens, you know? It's hard to script ahead of time.

Blue-EyedLady
06-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I guess I'm looking for more of the "in the moment"-type of response. I'm not so confrontational that I would approach her about it now. :bag

BlessedBlue
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
:think In being proactive, how about when the DD returns compliment her on obeying her mom so well, and then continue your conversation. It doesn't really have to be a big interruption to the conversation, but it lets the mom know - in case she didn't notice, and supports both of them in the big picture.