PDA

View Full Version : Turansky and Miller- anyone have success with their books?

greenishmama
06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Has anyone had success using the methods/ideas of Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller with young children (4+ yrs)? (they wrote Good and Angry, Stop whining and complaining.... , Home Imrpovement, Parenting is Heartwork and some others)

I like some of their ideas (changing the heart, changing attitudes, etc.) but so far "taking a break" is not working with our 4.5 yr old.

Happygrl
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Implementing their ideas for ME, :yes. For kids under 5, not a lot, no. But my daughter is 5.5 and I've used many of their ideas successfully in the past six months or so.

mommy2abigail
06-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes! Reading Good and Angry changed my parenting SO much. It gave me concrete, non-punitive ways to deal with most things. It helped me see teaching them as opportunities to share God's message rather than annoyances to deal with. It helped me be much more proactive in teaching when there is not a problem going on, rather than yelling/lecturing during a conflict. Honestly, it's helped ME so much in dealing with my own anger. My 5 year old recently said to me "Mommy, I'm glad we are doing the 'breaks' now, (something they advocate, it's very similar to a comfort corner) because you don't get mad at us anymore." :blush and :happytears

~yogamom~
06-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I really like Stop Whining and Complaining. Great ideas for me-- DD just turned 5 and I am starting to talk about honor and families more with her.

greenishmama
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I really like Stop Whining and Complaining. Great ideas for me-- DD just turned 5 and I am starting to talk about honor and families more with her.

I havent' read that one yet but want to.... so at 5 is your daughter understanding some of the concepts?

~yogamom~
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I havent' read that one yet but want to.... so at 5 is your daughter understanding some of the concepts?

she is, albeit very loosely. i've been talking about them with her for a about year or so, so she knows the words and the ideas. i figure when she is ready to fully understand it, it will already be there for her!