PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk defensiveness?

sweetpeasmommy
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
DS is 5.5 and defensive about everything. I don't especially need to know how to handle it, I generally just address the behavior and leave the excuses out of it. He bumps into a chair, it's the chairs fault. He spit on the floor and his Dad and it's because he was too tired to walk down the hall to spit in the sink. :rolleyes He gets pretty creative with his "reasons" for everything and I just continue to address the behavior. I'm just :tired of hearing it yk? I feel like he has a pretty safe grace filled environment to make mistakes without having to be defensive about it. Although DH is very shame based and defensive and there's not a whole lot I can do about that except make sure he understands it's not okay to shame DS and encourage him to work on his shame so he doesn't spread it around. What else can I do to foster DS being able to take responsibility for his actions? Or is it just a maturity thing?

bliss
06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Oh my word, subbing to this one because I am not having fun with Booger's doing this AT. ALL. (You probably didn't want to hear that I'm still having trouble with my 11yo doing this, did you? :shifty :duck)

sweetpeasmommy
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Not really but I figured it happens since DH is 39 and still really defensive.

MarynMunchkins
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I've noticed this in Bug and think it's related to lack of impulse control. He has no internal controls, so he needs his environment closely controlled. When something goes wrong, it has to be the fault of the other stuff around him. :rolleyes

For most kids, that gets better with age. For him, I'm hoping meds help. :)

bliss
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Not really but I figured it happens since DH is 39 and still really defensive.

lol :shifty