PDA

View Full Version : potty talk- 4.5 yr old how to deal with it

greenishmama
05-31-2010, 06:35 PM
My 4.5 yr old has started potty talk. sort of. I was always glad it had never been an issue. I figured since we freely used the words pee and poop, etc. (in context) that he felt no need to use them inappropriately. A week or two ago his cousin started a round of it. It didn't bother me. They were having fun riding around in circles calling each other poopy head and also things like tractor head and laughing and giggling. no meaness. Well, the girl cousin told her mother on her little brother (3) and he got punished and so the whole thing was discussed in front of and to my son.

now.... he's doing it at home but in ways that are not nice. sometimes mean spirited. sometimes maybe just being silly. It's not always jsut potty language but like "that's a booby tree" or "that's a snotty hat". it is driving me crazy. I'm finding it hard to be playful about it. He knows it bothers me. so i'm stuck. He found one of my buttons. Now what? Ignoring isn't helping and usually I get tired of it and then end up saying something so therefore I"m not being consistent.

Is it normal at age 4.5? (sometimes he seems immature socially).

How do you deal with it?

Saphirah
05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Potty language can be said freely in the bathroom. And I ask them if they need to use the potty if they are using potty words. Works pretty well.

Marzipan
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
My 3.5 year old is way in to this right now. The other day he composed a song called "I love poopy!" As long as he's not calling names or threatening to "poop on you!" I generally let it go. If it's going on and on, or getting on my nerves, sometimes I say, "oh, talking about poopy is alright...just so long as you don't talk about kittens eating jelly beans...whatever we do, we MUSTN'T talk about that!" very very dramatically...and then, of course, they're off, jabbering about kittens and jellybeans.

Marsha
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
WE just said "ok, no more bathroom talk" or "hey, that's bathroom talk" for awhile, kwim? It's SO 4-4.5!!

tempus vernum
06-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Potty language can be said freely in the bathroom. And I ask them if they need to use the potty if they are using potty words. Works pretty well.

I do this exactly.

I say "ooh, potty language in the potty room." and actually guide them in and shut the door. Sometimes my dd stands in there and keeps singing whatever potty song or potty dance or whatever. . . sometimes she stops and comes right back out and sighs :giggle

Usually in a 4.5 yo it is just for the reaction it gets from mom and dad - and it is TOTALLY normal -- I have a 4.5 yo and we are in this phase as well :hugheart but this is the 3rd time around for us and it's been much easier and actually funny :shifty I am having to school my face blank and send her in the bathroom before I start laughing :shifty