PDA

View Full Version : Making it happen when I'm in the middle of something

Psyche
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Caden's inability to follow direction is making me loco. Maybe I need to pick my battles better, but I feel as though that wherever the boundary is, even if it is relaxed, he will push and push and push.

For instance, I just washed my feet b/c they were were nasty. His feet were not. He said (demanded) that he get to wash his feet too. I told him no b/c they weren't dirty. So as I'm trying to shepard Jon out of the bathroom, Caden just gets into the bathtub where my water is draining, right after I told him "no".

Then I'm trying to get a glass of water. I put the knife on the counter (we buy the 2.5 gallon jugs), and am trying to pour my cup while fending Jon off the soy sauce. Caden says he wants to cut the jug too, I tell him "no" and he grabs the knife anyway and walks behind me to puncture the jug. So I'm trying to get the knife from him, keep Jon from pouring soy sauce on his jammies and getting my water/keeping it from spilling all at once.

Clearly, I need to be making things happen for him, but how do I do that while I'm trying to do X and trying to keep Jon from doing Y? I am *really* tired that Caden needs SO much hands on direction still and that he cannot/will not obey. At all. Ever. Or if he does, it inolves me screaming at him and him throwing a fit.

MarynMunchkins
05-30-2010, 04:30 PM
My youngest two have birthdays within months of yours. I spent a good hour this afternoon thinking, "I am SO glad that these two aren't my only children! These ages are exhausting!" :hissyfit Does that make you feel any better? :giggle

Sometimes it's learning to triage the situation. Which is the most important? What *has* to be dealt with first? Sometimes it's giving them more opportunities/responsbilities than you initially had thought they could handle. Sometimes it's pulling out the super cape and managing to do it all at once. And occasionally it's giving up and crying while utter chaos reigns. :shifty

Making sure you phrase things positively and keep it playful will really help. "No, don't touch my water! It will turn YOU into water and you'll fall down the drain in little squiggles!"

:hug2 It's rough. They DO grow out of it though. :phew

Sparrow
05-30-2010, 05:02 PM
yes, I wanted to add that my kids are april 06 and oct 08

and I'm :hissyfit many parts of the day

Aerynne
05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
My ds is not the same age, but has a similar personality. So here are my three strategies:

1. Say no less. I decide if it's woth a fight.

2. Ultra childproofing. We lock a lot of stuff, including his own closet so he can't change his clothes ten times a day.

3. GOMB. This is my least favorite.