PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old hitting us

arctic oak
05-22-2010, 07:11 PM
My DS1 is 4.5 and has recently started hitting (usually DH but sometimes me too) when he is redirected or asked to do something he doesn't want to do- like return a toy to his brother after he has snatched it. Often he responds by finding a toy, like a hockey stick, to beat the door or wall, or hit his dad. We then take that toy from him (because he is hitting with it) and he gets even angrier and the situation just repeats but at an escalated level. If he goes to his room he lashes out even more, beats the door or walls with every toy he can find and then comes out in a fury!

DH is really good at using humour to deescalate and also to communicate with DS. DS used to respond well to this but lately has continued to lash out anyway. DS can't seem to see that it was his behaviour that prompted our response (eg. returning the toy to DS2 or taking the beating implement away)- but just goes on about how angry he is- as if our response was unjust :scratch. I try responding with empathy, hugs, etc but that is hard if I'm feeling frustrated and also feels too permissive- though it calms him down sometimes.

DS1 hasn't been aggressive at all until very recently. He's sensitive, gentle and loving with his siblings- most of the time! He's great with other kids too. I'm confused about where this has come from (is it just a normal stage?) and what to do about it. I'm finding it harder to respond with gentleness and grace when the behaviour is so aggressive, but any response at all just seems to escalate it anyway. Help!

Psyche
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Caden was a late hitter too and stated w/in the last few months. We have him make amends when he hits and usually have him sit until he is ready to act reasonably.

cheri
05-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I see that you have a new baby. I'm wondering if it has something do to with that. Obviously there's already a sibling and this was baby 3, but adding a new baby can cause a huge change in behavior, IME.

My dd1 had just turned 4 when my dd2 was born. And she struggled for about 5-6 weeks with a few different issues. She became very aggressive, and it was never directed toward the baby- always toward dh or myself. She was very insecure, and lashed out at us.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am guessing that could be it. For my dd, it really helped her to make sure that she got lots of hugs and snuggles (because physical touch is definitely her love language)