PDA

View Full Version : Cat's

Littledisciples
05-22-2010, 07:03 PM
How long does it take before a cat gets used to its new home and will not run away.

Allison
05-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Has the cat been neutered or spayed? Did you get it as a kitten or does it have a history before you?

Littledisciples
05-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Has the cat been neutered or spayed? Did you get it as a kitten or does it have a history before you?

Actually it is two and they are Kittens. No they are not fixed. We are going to fix them soon as they are old enough. They where just weaned.

Allison
05-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Oh,that's good! Having them spayed or neutered will lessen their chances of wandering off. Keeping them inside will keep them home for sure. ;)

Amber
05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
With little kittens like that I would be less concerned with them wandering off and more concerned about them getting hurt by neighborhood cats or dogs if left outside all the time. Usually a week or two of staying inside (either in the house or garage) does a good job of teaching cats that this is their new home.

itzj
05-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I would not let kittens that little outside alone. They are still small enough to easily get hit by a car or be hunted. Some stuff I've read says not before 6 months and others after they are altered. The first times definitely stay with them. I hope it goes well. We have a lot of cats but ours are all inside.

Littledisciples
05-23-2010, 08:06 PM
We live in the country and they have a barn to live in. I need them to be outside for mousers. They will have to be outside cats but they can't live in rabbit cages forever. Granted they are big breeding cages but still they need to get out and hunt and be the cat's they are designed to be.

Amber
05-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Is it possible to close off the barn for a few weeks, and let them out to play for short periods when you are there to keep an eye on them? I wouldn't leave them in rabbit cages for very long because they need to be out playing and exercising.

iplsmama
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Kittens in a pair like that will figure it out real quick. Like probably a night or two and a couple of good meals and lovin from some kiddos. Now there is the very distinct possibility of predators but barn kitties are barn kitties (in other words city folk won't understand LOL)

Littledisciples
05-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Oh ya they get out during the day the kids take them out and love and play with them. So they are not stuck in the cages all day long :giggle just basicly overnight and when we can't watch them. :)

Kittens in a pair like that will figure it out real quick. Like probably a night or two and a couple of good meals and lovin from some kiddos. Now there is the very distinct possibility of predators but barn kitties are barn kitties (in other words city folk won't understand LOL)

:yes I agree

domesticzookeeper
05-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Because cats can become pregnant at a very early age, I wouldn't let them out regularly until they were spayed, which is probably something that can be done soon.

iplsmama
05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Yeah get them spayed SOON. You don't want to deal with preggo kitties and it's more expensive if they are pregnant.