PDA

View Full Version : bunny question

scrappyknits
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
We are thinking of getting a bunny - but it's a totally new pet to us, so we'd be on a learning curve with it, I'm sure.

If we have an outdoor hutch for bunny for the summer, can they continue to stay outdoors during the winter months, or do they need to be brought inside? Do they stay outside all weather (rain, heat, etc)?

does this depend on the TYPE of bunny?

domesticzookeeper
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
If we have an outdoor hutch for bunny for the summer, can they continue to stay outdoors during the winter months, or do they need to be brought inside? Do they stay outside all weather (rain, heat, etc)?

Properly cared for, they can live outside year-round. The real killer for rabbits is heat, so you'd need to make sure they stay COOL in the shade during summer days. They will overheat very easily if you're not careful to provide plenty of water and relief from the sun. Obviously, they'll also need protection from the elements.

The only other serious issues for outdoor rabbits are other animals (keep them secured away from where raccoons, dogs, etc. can get to them - they can literally die of fright) and pest problems. Fly strike...I don't recommend Googling it :sick and it is probably the worst thing you will ever witness as a pet owner. Suffice to say, keep their hutches (and their fur) as clean as possible.

does this depend on the TYPE of bunny?

Not generally; most breeds can tolerate living in all seasons :shrug3 Rex rabbits are the only ones who may be more sensitive. They don't have an outer layer of fur, so they might need a little extra protection in winter.

KLin
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I love my bun! He is so outside and happy in the yard. He comes to us when we are on the patio or to be near the boys when they are playing in the yard.

I live in the Arizona heat, and he has to be inside when it is way hot. He pouts, and stares out the glass door, but he needs the AC in summer. I let him out when the nights are cooler.

We do not get snow are freezing temps, :rockon. But I really watch him when it is hot.

He has a hay box in the laundry room when he is inside, and very house friendly. He just prefers his big grass yard to play in.

LeeDee
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
You're in the UK, right? Your bunny should be fine with a shelter outside and plenty hay all year round. If you're building a fence around for exercise time make sure to extend it a bit in the ground, since bunnies can burrow. Bunnies are very sociable and get lonely kept on their own, so I'd recommend getting 2 bunnies or at least a bunny and a guinea pig or some friend for him.

Your only worry in the UK for predators really is cats, dogs and foxes. I had a friend in Scotland who lost 3 pet bunnies to a fox.

Marrae
05-21-2010, 02:50 PM
We had pet rabbits for years. Our sort of heat is not a problem and they stayed out all winter fine. We found that the rabbits we were given from friends were fine but the ones from pet shops did not live for any great length of time. :(

They were great pets. :)

Synesthesia
05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
They are kind of more fun indoors, but you have to watch out for heat, and FLYSTRIKE.

Which is a horrible, horrible thing. The downside of bunnies outdoors is you really have to watch a rabbit carefully. They will hide all signs of sickness and pretend to be healthy, so you got to make sure to get to know your bunny well and his or her habits. If a rabbit refuses food, you got to take them to the vet immediately.

Rabbits don't need shots here, but they need a shot in the UK.I forget the name of that disease