PDA

View Full Version : Just diagnosed with HYPERthyroid....advice?

kaismamma
05-15-2010, 09:39 PM
My thyroid levels were off the chart.... .01.

The strange thing is that I have almost no symptoms. I went in because my bang area is developing a bald spot, and that's just about as far as the symptoms go. I mean, I've had a little bit of energy issues since being pregnant with DS2, but I seriously think that about 70% of that is because my feet are always hurting. I've often thought I could cruise through my day if it weren't for my feet. I'm working my tail off to try to loose my pregnancy weight, and it's not really melting off (which it should be with hyper). I am hungry quite a bit, but I'm nursing and trying to limit my portions so that I'll lose weight....so I should be hungry, right? Since being pregnant I have been a bit more irritable at times, which is a symptom, but it hasn't been super bad. I've mainly just been a little bit PMSy when it comes to loud sounds from my noisy 3-year-old. I've had 2 cycles since my mentsrual cycles have returned, and they've were 6 weeks apart rather than 4, so I suppose that could qualify as a symptom....but sometimes doesn't it take a few months after AF returns for things to get regular again?

My naturopath said she could treat me with herbs and homeopathically, but she seemed hesitant to do so. She's a little baffled by my lack of symptoms and wants me to get a medical opinion and for me to learn about my medical options before I make a treatment decision, which I'll do. But the more I study this, the more freaked and stressed out I'm getting.

Any advice from someone who has been down this path?

cbmk4
05-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Agree with your naturopath that you should have it checked out further by an endocrinologist so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Graves disease is a different disorder than the type of thyroiditis that can occur postpartum, so the long term outcome and treatments will be different.

ChristmasGirl
05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
(((hugs))) i agree with seeing an endo for a more specific diagnosis. :yes they may want to do other testing of your thyroid (like an ultrasound, a scan/uptake, or a biopsy)

i had my thyroid go hyperthyroid, but it was because i had a nodule on my thyroid that became active, and so it was almost like i had TWO thyroids! I had to take PTU (propylthiouracil) to supress my thyroid for a few years, and then i ended up having 1/2 my thyroid out (including the nodule), so now i am on synthroid and have the opposite problem, lol. I really didn't have any major symptoms and loosing weight definitely wasn't one of them at the time. They just caught it thru my routine bloodwork since they knew i could go hyperthryoid because of the nodule they were monitoring.

keep us posted, and let me know if you have any questions as you go thru this process. :hug