PDA

View Full Version : The element is out on my oven :( Can I fix it myself?

4MKfam
05-15-2010, 08:53 AM
The bottom element on my oven is dead. It's an older (um :shifty avocado green --that should splain it) oven, and we're in a rental, so technically, it shouldn't be our deal to fix/repair it.
HOWever... :rolleyes, we called the property manager (a realty co. since the house is on the market) earlier this year re: water in the basement, and they did NOTHING :mad (fortunately, we dried it up and we haven't had a problem since), so I'm figuring they're not going to be real proactive about fixing an old oven. I'm kinda screwed. I need my oven. If they refuse to fix it, I'll have to deal with it myself --which leads to my question:
How difficult would it be to replace the oven element myself :scratch? Doesn't seem like it should be that tough of a job... Am I getting in over my head here? :lol
Of course, best case scenario would be the owner (who lives in Colorado :rolleyes) paying for fixing or replacing the oven, but based on how hands-off (coughLAZYcough) they've been about things like this (I mean, if a property manager isn't even going to come over and check about water in the basement, um, what ARE you going to care about :rolleyes), I'm not holding my breath.

mountainash
05-15-2010, 08:56 AM
It's not hard. You unplug the oven, pull out a couple screws and take the old element out. Ours plugged into the side of the oven the same way electric coil burners plug into a range. Then you can take that element with you when you go shop for a new one.

Six Little Feet
05-15-2010, 08:56 AM
They element is pretty cheap-under 50.00 I am sure. You can just pop it in and out.

mamaKristin
05-15-2010, 10:07 AM
We've replaced ours rather easily, and for under $25 :tu

Niphredil
05-15-2010, 10:11 AM
It's a breeze, you can so do it!

mamaKristin
05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh, and remove the dead one and take it with you to the store. It's too easy to buy the wrong one (trust me, BTDT)

mollobe
05-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I think you should look at your lease contract - this is really something that the owner/property manager should do. Even though it sounds like you can probably easily do it yourself, it's still their responsibility to at LEAST pay for it. :shrug3