PDA

View Full Version : hello, little floating dot in my eye

HomeWithMyBabies
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I have an eye floater. So annoying! I've had one before years ago that one day I just realized was gone. I've been waiting a few days for this one to disappear, but it hasn't yet.

My eyes always get a bit wonky this time of year, most likely because of my allergies. I think I'm due for a eye doctor check up, but in the meantime is there anything I can do, or should know, about my little floating friend who won't leave? I know it can be a sign of more serious conditions, but I'm fairly healthy.

Raspberries
05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow interesting! I only get weird visual things pre-migraine, but obviously it isn't progressing into that for you. Does it come and go or is it consistent. There are such things as painless migraines that can present other symptoms (like auras). :think

tigerlily
05-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Floaters are normal.:yes

The eye doctor told me that they increase with age and/or head injuries.

I had a massive head injury at 17 and I have lots -- I play little games with them.;)

If you think it's more than just a normal floater, do get it checked out.:yes

allisonintx
05-14-2010, 05:18 AM
They can also be caused by blood sugar problems.

HomeWithMyBabies
05-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Wow interesting! I only get weird visual things pre-migraine, but obviously it isn't progressing into that for you. Does it come and go or is it consistent. There are such things as painless migraines that can present other symptoms (like auras). :think

I didn't notice it at all after I posted, but that was the last time I was on the computer yesterday. Floaty reappeared when I was looking at the screen this morning.

If you think it's more than just a normal floater, do get it checked out.:yes

It's similar to what I've noticed in the past but I'm due for a visit anyway. :yes I just have to schedule it. :ph

I will mention that to my PA. She wants to check my thyroid but I haven't gotten into the lab yet, and I don't have any thyroid eye disease symptoms unless floaters are a symptom I'm not aware of. :think

The Tickle Momster
05-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I have floaters too. I have had 2 of them since I was in high school (same shape, so I know they are the same). They would frequently appear while I was taking a test. My eye dr. at the time, couldn't find them. Irritating when they show up, but kind of fun too. Like Tigerlily, I play with mine.

tigerlily
05-14-2010, 11:40 AM
I notice mine the most when concentrating on up close work and then I switch focus momentarily -- often on the computer or reading or just staring at walls -- they've given me quite a bit of entertainment over the years.:shifty

Interesting about the blood sugar.:think

Peridot
05-15-2010, 07:55 AM

High blood sugar particularly, or fluctuating ?

I have multiples of multiples...but I have really bad eyes.

Little Forest
05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
What causes floaters are fibers in the gel that fills the back of the eye ( call vitreous) which basically can clump up and float around a bit in front of your retina. The vitreous liquifies with age and you notice it more the older you get. (No correlation of floaters with blood sugar that I am aware.)

What you described sounds like a completely normal floater. It won't go away but your brain can learn to pay less attention to it and kind of "tune it out." Optically it is more noticeable when you look at a uniform surface (as in a wall or the sky) in bright light.

Symptoms of a retinal detatchment are a sudden increase in floaters or shadow or curtain in vision often along with flashes. This is something that needs immediate attention.

HomeWithMyBabies
05-18-2010, 08:36 AM
It won't go away but your brain can learn to pay less attention to it and kind of "tune it out."

My brain has a hard time with that. I'm the type of person who gets super irritated by minor sensations. If it's not going to go away I shall have to come up with a name for it and learn to embrace it.

me
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
diatomaceous earth might help :) it helped me with mine and its also helped me with my sensory issues too...if i look really hard for them i can still see some but i have to look for them. when my body starts getting low in whatever mineral it is i start seeing them again and i even think they are a shadow at the corner of my eye when they get bad. but the de returns things to normal.

HomeWithMyBabies
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I mentioned this to my dad and he told me he had a floaty last month, and he started taking lutein. After about three weeks it was gone. I wonder if anyone has heard that, had experience with it, etc? I have yet to try DE. :think

It's still bothering me. :bag

Little Forest
06-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Lutein is a compound found in the pigment of the eyes and is used as a supplement with the thought to prevent/slow down macular degeneration. It wouldn't have anything to do with noticing floaters though.

I think his brain just learned to disregard viewing it. It is possible that his floater is not as large as yours either.

Lady TS
06-02-2010, 05:48 AM
I would get these every morning in the last half or so of my pregnancies. It was my "lima bean" because that's what the shape of it was for me.

It was really annoying and freaked me out but the docs weren't overly worried when I told them about it.:shrug3

HomeWithMyBabies
06-02-2010, 05:51 AM
I've been reading that sometimes they just go away, disintegrate. Is that true? I really hope so, I thought I'd had one in the past that I can't find anymore. I can't see myself getting used to it.

It's definately smaller than a bean! That would really drive me bananas!

tigerlily
06-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry it drives you crazy. :hug

I've had mine for over 15 years :sigh -- but they don't bother me, if it was annoying me, I'd probably go nuts, too.

ThreeKids
06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I had a tic for years of making my floaters dance. ANNOYING!