PDA

View Full Version : siblings as best friends- anyone read this book?

greenishmama
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I just discovered a book at Amazon called
Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by the Mally children. It is written by 3 homeschooled children and illustrated by their father. Christian book about why your brothers and sisters should be your best friend. Sure sounds appealing! Anyone read it? If so, would it be useful with a 5 yr old?

ArmsOfLove
05-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I haven't but it sounds interesting. I'm raising my children to be best friends :heart

MTmomma
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I've had some friends whose children read it. It really seemed to impact them, but the kids were older, and THEY were the ones who read it. I have wondered if it would be useful for parents of lo's to read. If you get it, please let us know how it is!

veggiegirl
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Sound interesting. I'd love to hear more.

mamajane
05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I got it a few years ago but have yet to get very far in it. Some of it's just not applicable to us, like the issue of putting other friends first. My kids are each others' main playmates. I've recently started reading it aloud a bit but find I have to read ahead a bit and skip stuff, because some of the "witty" parts are mean and I don't want to introduce those lines of thought. I think it's probably not great for 5 yo and I think that's why I set it aside a few years. Of course, I haven't read that much so I may be wrong, just based on the first part.

mommy2abigail
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Crystal, would you mind sharing some concrete ways you are doing this? :heart

greenishmama
05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I got it a few years ago but have yet to get very far in it. Some of it's just not applicable to us, like the issue of putting other friends first. My kids are each others' main playmates. I've recently started reading it aloud a bit but find I have to read ahead a bit and skip stuff, because some of the "witty" parts are mean and I don't want to introduce those lines of thought. I think it's probably not great for 5 yo and I think that's why I set it aside a few years. Of course, I haven't read that much so I may be wrong, just based on the first part.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find out. I think I still want to get it, but used probably (no hurry) and I'll have to read it myself first. I am constantly finding even in young children's books that have good intentions that they introduce things that aren't necessary at all or at least they are situations we haven't had to deal with yet.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

:yes I'd like to know too!

The Tickle Momster
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
:up this

blessedwithboys
05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I have the book. It's written more for older children (tweens probably) to read and put into practice. It really doesn't give much advice for parents.:shrug3

:popcorn to see what Crystal says. :)