PDA

View Full Version : Jumpy(fearful) dog

mom2_AthruZ
05-01-2010, 10:37 PM
We just adopted a 2yo(roughly) yellow lab last week. The resuce we adopted from is a one woman show. During our meeting at the pick up day she talked about how Mazie had no fear of the vacuum etc.

We get her home and everything seems fine. The next day she has 4 seperated barking spells. The first one was when I went to vacuum, the second was when Emi was pulling a step stool out to use in the kitchen, again when Ace appeared from behind our puppet theater, and again when our oldest came out of her bedroom.

I emailed the resuce to ask if she had had any of these issues with the Mazie. She said that she had not and that it was likely the transition from a house with one person and a bunch of dogs to one with one dog and bunch of people. She said to tell her "no bark" and that has worked for the most part.

So far she has barked when I brought a hand vacuum into the house, when I was moving a chair from my bedroom to the livingroom,when I vacuumed,when I carried a sewing machine to the kitchen, she barked at the mixer tonight when SiSi was making cookie dough and also today when the littles brought out their baby doll strollers. There have been more times but I can't remember specifics.

She jumps sometimes at surprise noises(pots clanging etc) but it's the barking that is the biggest issue.

Is this just all new to her and she will eventually get used to it? Anything else we can do? Looking for insight because we really want this to work out.

Marrrg
05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Hmmm, I don't know. I hope it gets better for you!

Maybe try this- help your dog feel more comfortable by letting him know that you are the pack leader and you are in charge. When he becomes fearful and barks, calmly and sternly tell him "no barking". Maybe do some cognitive behavioral therapy with him. Start by calmly taking him over to the vacuum. Let him sniff it. Tell him it is ok. Have him sit down and crouch behind him, holding him firmly and securely. Pet him and tell him you are going to turn on the vacuum and its ok. Turn it on for a second then off again, while holding him tightly with your legs and by the collar. If he barks tell him, "no barking" sternly. Let him sniff the vacuum after it is off. Repeat.

Hopefully that helps- I'm not a dog expert by any means but I do a lot of dominating my dogs when I first get them (I put them on their back on the floor and strattle them to hold them in that submissive pose) and I know that makes them feel much more comfortable. Sounds wierd/mean but it works (kinda like the bear hug in a way).

Amber
05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
When she barks, is it one or two barks alerting to the situation, or is it a more prolonged barking session?

Moving to a new house is really stressful on a dog. At a minimum you are her 3rd home. It is going to take a few weeks to a month or more for her to really settle in. You can add some Rescue Remedy to her water bowl to help with some of the anxiety she is feeling.

If this was my dog, whenever she startled or started barking at something I would gently reassure her. I use a steady, slow and low voice to do this. My stand by phrase is "Easy now. Settle." I would encourage them to investigate (but not push them) whatever it was.

mom2_AthruZ
05-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Thanks ladies!

Amber it has been some of both in the barking situation. Once while I was out and Jorry was home she started barking and wouldn't stop. Jorry finally had her go in her kennel because no matter how many times he said "no bark" she just kept going. I'll get some rescue remedy for her water.

Last night I moved the sewing machine to a table in our bedroom. She walked in there and started barking at it. :-/

And as far as being the pack leader I must lack a gene or something because no matter how firm I am with a dog they do not consider me a leader. I'm trying to work with her on some manners as well has releasing the ball/toy when we play fetch and she doesn't do anything for me unless I have a treat. We are supposed to start obedience classes this week so I'm hoping to find out what I am doing wrong. It's frustrating to say the least. It feels the same way as the last dog we had and I just did not like him because no matter how I worked with him he just never looked at me as a leader.

Marrrg
05-03-2010, 07:35 AM
And as far as being the pack leader I must lack a gene or something because no matter how firm I am with a dog they do not consider me a leader. I'm trying to work with her on some manners as well has releasing the ball/toy when we play fetch and she doesn't do anything for me unless I have a treat. We are supposed to start obedience classes this week so I'm hoping to find out what I am doing wrong. It's frustrating to say the least. It feels the same way as the last dog we had and I just did not like him because no matter how I worked with him he just never looked at me as a leader.

Dogs in the wild determine the pack order by physical domination, not vocal commands. They can become confused if they are never physically dominated. That is the way they are used to comminucating. Watch how mothers act with their pups. When the pups get out of line momma dog growls and often puts a paw over puppy, and puppy says he's sorry by laying on his back. That is why I hold my dogs on their backs too. I never hurt them, though. Its helps to do it on the couch so their backs are supported. Then they think I am the momma!

Amber
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
"No Bark" may not be working because she doesn't know what that means :shrug Personally, I'm not a fan of "No Bark" :shifty I use the commands "Quiet" and "Speak" (okay, well as much as I tried I couldn't get my dog to bark on command :giggle).

Remember, in these instances when she is barking it is because she is anxious/scared or something is out of place, address *that*..."It's okay Susie, it the sewing machine." (again in a slow, low voice ;)) A firm "No Bark" doesn't help her feel at ease. The situations you mentioned seem to be centered around things being out of place or loud noises. She may be a sensitive dog by nature and the change in homes has heightened that.

I would be proactive in circumstances that are likely to set her off. Put her somewhere she feels safe, like a different room or her crate, if you need to do something that makes noise like use the vacuum or mixer. Then work on slowly desensitizing her to one thing at a time. This is where a really good trainer will come in handy to help you set up a plan that will work with her slowly to help her feel at ease in these situations.

She hasn't been in your house for very long. It is going to take time, and work on both of your parts to become a team that works well together.

mom2_AthruZ
05-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Dogs in the wild determine the pack order by physical domination, not vocal commands. They can become confused if they are never physically dominated. That is the way they are used to comminucating. Watch how mothers act with their pups. When the pups get out of line momma dog growls and often puts a paw over puppy, and puppy says he's sorry by laying on his back. That is why I hold my dogs on their backs too. I never hurt them, though. Its helps to do it on the couch so their backs are supported. Then they think I am the momma!

I put her on her back this afternoon. Not sure it worked but it was worth a try.;) Do you do it often or just randomly? One thing that I have done is when she gets bitey I have yelped "ow" which catches her attention and then I say "no bite". Something I learned when we had a puppy and wanted to get through that bitey phase.

mom2_AthruZ
05-04-2010, 04:50 AM
"No Bark" may not be working because she doesn't know what that means :shrug Personally, I'm not a fan of "No Bark" :shifty I use the commands "Quiet" and "Speak" (okay, well as much as I tried I couldn't get my dog to bark on command :giggle).

It's the command that the owner of the rescue used so that's what we went with. She responds to it most often. The thing that set her off when she wouldn't stop was a small wind chime that I have. Not sure why she wouldn't stop.:shrug3

Remember, in these instances when she is barking it is because she is anxious/scared or something is out of place, address *that*..."It's okay Susie, it the sewing machine." (again in a slow, low voice ;)) A firm "No Bark" doesn't help her feel at ease. The situations you mentioned seem to be centered around things being out of place or loud noises. She may be a sensitive dog by nature and the change in homes has heightened that.

And here is where I have conflicted info. We were reassuring her but when I expressed that to the rescue owner she said not to do that. Instead she said to say "no big deal" and then ignore it.:think

I would be proactive in circumstances that are likely to set her off. Put her somewhere she feels safe, like a different room or her crate, if you need to do something that makes noise like use the vacuum or mixer. Then work on slowly desensitizing her to one thing at a time. This is where a really good trainer will come in handy to help you set up a plan that will work with her slowly to help her feel at ease in these situations.

She did better with the vacuum yesterday. I had taken it to my room when she was outside so when she came in she did bark but I called her in the room and she came in and saw that everything was ok. She let me vacuum with no issues. So that is progress.:clap I'm definitely going to talk with the trainer we are going to meet this week.

She hasn't been in your house for very long. It is going to take time, and work on both of your parts to become a team that works well together.

Thanks. I need this reminder. With adopting an older dog I romanticized her arrival into our home. I don't want it to sound like she is horrible, because she isn't.:heart

Marrrg
05-04-2010, 06:29 AM
I put her on her back this afternoon. Not sure it worked but it was worth a try.;) Do you do it often or just randomly? One thing that I have done is when she gets bitey I have yelped "ow" which catches her attention and then I say "no bite". Something I learned when we had a puppy and wanted to get through that bitey phase.

I usually do it when they are misbehaving or not listening. But I also do it randomly during cuddle time. Once you can have them lay on their back for you and they don't resist, then you know they probably see you as a leader. Then you can easily give nice tummy scratches, too!

That is cool about making a yelping sound- I'll have to try that (our 6 month old boxer male has a little bit of a barking outside habit, he's "protecting the yard" from birds :giggle)

mom2_AthruZ
05-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Ok we had our first vet appt yesterday and our supposedly 2yr6month old dog is actually just 1yr old.:hunh:-/ I didn't want a puppy!!! However it explains a lot with the behaviour as well as the anxiety. Very likely that she has been a kennel dog most of her life which means she hasn't been exposed to anything in the outside world. I finally decide I am ready for a dog and purposely seek out an older one and still wind up with a puppy. Oy!