PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizing hormones / AF issues

Tuesdayschild
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Are there foods, supplements and / or diets that help to calm down hormone fluctuations? I'm thinking along the lines of reducing PMS, feeling less physically and mentally deflated post-ovulation, having less heavy AF... that kind of thing.

My heart sinks when I think of the decade worth of cycles I will likely still go through before menopause sets in :-/ Anything I can do to work with my body and get an easy ride I'm game for trying.

TIA

SilverMoon
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I take Ttapp's alfalfa supplement daily (15 capsules, which is a lot but that's for hormone management) in three doses; upon ovulation, I use progesterone cream in the morning and evening. I also try to do a full Ttapp workout 3 times a week (but lately it's been closer to 2), cut out sugar and refined carbs, too. B-12 once a day helps me with stress, and taking a couple more each day during the luteal phase helps.
Cal/mag is a must
so is fish oil

try doing a search in this forum and you should get some good information. Others like evening primrose oil and other supplements I don't take but work very well for them.

Tuesdayschild
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
What's Ttapp?

I am so ignorant on all this, but determined to prepare my body once PP AF hits. Whiich will be a while, I hope.

SilverMoon
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Ttapp is an exercise program found at www.t-tapp.com
The alfalfa through her store is different than most because it's cold processed. I've never tried other alfalfa brands but read they can cause bloating and other issues. The cold processing keeps that and the other issues from happening. This particular alfalfa is great to take to get rid of water retention, too. Alfalfa works by balancing whichever hormones are out of sync. If there isn't enough progesterone, it helps the body increase that. If there isn't enough estrogen, it helps balance that.
Over these two months I've learned I need both the cream and the supplement to balance my hormones.

mountainash
04-26-2010, 04:19 PM
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause by John R. Lee MD is a good book even if you're no where near pre-menopausal.

SansSouci
04-29-2010, 08:40 AM
A healthy diet should help lessen the extreme shifts in mood/etc. My midwife told me about this, stressing the need to avoid sugar and alcohol, and to eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds, etc.

I'v heard that maca root helps balance the hormones. I tried it for 6 months and didn't notice any significant difference.

Elora
04-29-2010, 08:43 AM
eating chocolate helps me immensely, i don't care what anyone says :snooty

COTK
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
:popcorn

Major, major, major hormone issues here... :(