PDA

View Full Version : Darn dogs

LadyofReason
04-23-2010, 10:17 AM
I didn't want dogs. I didn't feel ready for dogs. I knew it would all fall on me to take care of them and with a little one on the way, I knew it was too much. I told DH that. And yet. :banghead
He got a lab puppy for his parents and his sister picked up a 5 year old lab for them. They didn't want either one. (yes, yes, I know) We had the dog they wanted (long story short--it was SIL's dog, she gave it to MIL, took it back and then wanted to get rid of it. We checked with EVERYONE and took her ourselves. MIL made a big deal about how BIL really wanted it back.)
SO, we finally gave MIL (and BIL) their blankity blank dog back. Traded them that dog for the pup (Lilly). The only thing is that we had to take the 5 year old too. We named her Sassy. Short for Sasquatch because she is a mammoth lab. LOL
So now, I'm not wanting AND dogs and ended up with two. I swore I would never have a puppy and now I have one. :mad DH really really wanted these dogs. "All little boys should have a dog". Yeah. Sure.
Except I'm the one doing it all. I can't get out there and train these dogs. I won't have them inside with out some training. So the dogs sit. The kids give me a fit about going out to play with them every day. I have to remind them multiple times to go water the dogs. I have no trouble feeding them. :) DH does nothing with or for them. Occasionally, he'll watch an episode of Dog Whisperer and take them on a walk. He comes home mad of course.
So now, I realize that with it getting warm, we want flea stuff on them so that they don't bring in fleas or ticks. Call up and find out it's $42 each for 6 months of Heartgard and $97 each for 6 months of flea and tick stuff. We can't do that! (ok, we can, but it's going to be very stressful).

I'm so sick of these dogs! Sassy is such a sweetie! I would love it if she could just come in and lay down and be with us. Lilly has potential. She's not a bad dog. Neither are. They just need training and time. Lilly also needs fixed and that's another $200. If I mention that again, I'll hear all about how DH thinks he's getting ahead, then something else comes up and just forget it he'll just work more hours. *sigh*

It just makes me mad because I didn't want dogs in the first place. He did. Now I'm left with trying to make sure everything is done right for them, and he's upset about the money that needs spent and complains that I don't let them in like members of the family. More needs to be done and I should do it. :-/

duckwithoneleg
04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
:hug - sorry that's all i have to offer, i know dogs are so much work if it's to be done right. so... :hug

mommy2abigail
04-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Honestly, you should try to find a rescue or responsible new home for them. The situation is unfair to them and you. The older and wilder they get the harder it will be to place them. They WILL NOT chill and lay down with you inside without training and a LOT of exercise EVERYday. Obviously it shouldn't be your responsibility as you didn't want to dogs to begin with, but your dh isn't up for the task either. I would sit down with dh and tell him the dogs must go. He made a bad decision, but it's unfair to continue in the bad decision to the detriment of the dogs well being and your mental health. :hugheart

raining_kisses
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Honestly, you should try to find a rescue or responsible new home for them. The situation is unfair to them and you. The older and wilder they get the harder it will be to place them. They WILL NOT chill and lay down with you inside without training and a LOT of exercise EVERYday. Obviously it shouldn't be your responsibility as you didn't want to dogs to begin with, but your dh isn't up for the task either. I would sit down with dh and tell him the dogs must go. He made a bad decision, but it's unfair to continue in the bad decision to the detriment of the dogs well being and your mental health. :hugheart
ITA w/ this. im sorry you have to deal w/ this.:hug2

Amber
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
I think I would try to rehome them if you don't think you are going to be able to give them the time and attention they need.