PDA

View Full Version : Best Scriptures you feel support GBD

motherlyservant
04-09-2010, 05:44 AM
I am going to keep a notebook full of scripture that encourages GBD what are your favs?

allisonintx
04-09-2010, 05:46 AM
"Father's, provoke not your children to wrath"

"Whatever you have done unto the least of these you have done also unto me"

Granola_mom
04-09-2010, 06:05 AM
One of my irl friends and I were just talking about that!!!! Getti g an entire list of "how to treat other people" verses and really keeping it close to our hearts!! I just think it is sooooooooo crazy that (punitive) parents use those very few and far between verses to bases a whole theology of so called "biblical discipline" on. I want to know about how to treat each other. That's the best start on how to treat our littlest people!!!
Good thread!!! I'll be coming back with my armor!! ;)

katiekind
04-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as
in Christ God forgave you.

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

(I find this to be a great example for a good attitude to have when giving guidance to our own children.)

JenLovie
04-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Subbing

BarefootBetsy
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Subbing & will be back later with some :)

allisonintx
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Gal 5:22-23 the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

prov31craftymom
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
subbing

MudPies
04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
subbing here too:kiss

Tee
04-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Me too waiting to hear more :)

katiekind
04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. John 13:14

Jesus, creator of the universe, very God, humbled himself to serve. He made it clear that the kind of leaders he wants are servant-leaders. Not bossy, impatient, lording-their-authority leaders.

you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions.

This passage might be a little too familiar. Stop and think how it would go if it supported a punitive approach to bad behavior. It could have said, "You were dead in your transgressions and sins - too bad for you. You got that lightning bolt you so richly deserved."

Instead of the punishment we deserved, God sent more help, more love, more mercy. That's grace.

motherlyservant
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Thank you so much everyone! Keep em coming! What does everyone mean by subbing?

Marrae
04-09-2010, 01:08 PM
The love chapter 1 Cor 13 -
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Oh, and subbing means subscribing to the thread so that you can read the replies. :)

marigold
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

(I find this to be a great example for a good attitude to have when giving guidance to our own children.)

To go with this also I like James 3:17. I have these 2 posted together on my fridge "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."

katiekind
04-10-2010, 01:40 PM
To go with this also I like James 3:17. I have these 2 posted together on my fridge "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."

:yes :tu

Scriptures that help support and inform us in our roles as parents are everywhere once you realize that kids are people, too.

Katigre
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Gal 5:22-23 the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
:yes I've been evaluating my parenting/discipline through the Fruit of the Spirit too.

What that means for me is that any way that I discipline has to foster the growth of the Fruit of the Spirit in my own life, as well as encourage it in my children. That really helps me eliminate undue harshness and punitive attitudes because I can't embrace those without simultaneously rejecting my own spiritual growth and sensitivity.

mommy2abigail
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I haven't read all of the replies, but I'm sure there have been some awesome verses posted.

What I've found, in my own journey to a GBD mindset, is that I can't simply pull one or two scriptures and build my theory on that. That is exactly what the punitive minded people do, and not only is it bad interpretation to do that, but it is also very easy to slip their own agenda/opinion in there, and pretty soon it's hard to tell which is which-opinion or biblical truth.

After being handed TTUAC by a close family friend, and reading it (simply to be knowledgeable about the content and the heresy in it) I realized that I have to point him (and other punitive-minded people) to the bible in it's entirety. Yes, having a few scriptures memorized helps in the heat of the moment, and I believe that knowing them, having them posted around where you can see them, and committing them to memory is very important. However, what I have found to be even more important is to look at the character of God and then of Jesus as a whole, in all the events in the bible. When you do that, you see incredible love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness. You see gentleness coupled perfectly with firmness. You see a model for establishing boundaries, teaching (discipling) and treating others, and living a life honoring to God. THAT is what ultimately changed my mind from punitive to grace-based. :heart And while I still have a TON to learn, I've never had anyone argue that point with me...you simply can NOT take one or two scriptures and build a theory/method of ANYthing (parenting, marriage, work ethic, ect) from that.

katiekind
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Exactly.

DesiringHim
04-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more. Rom 5:20

And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 1 Thess 5:14

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. 2 Timothy 2: 24

( ^ if we are to treat our adversaries like this, how much more so our own children!)

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:12-14

When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
The more they were called,
the more they went away;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals
and burning offerings to idols. Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk;
I took them up by their arms,
but they did not know that I healed them.
I led them with cords of kindness,
with the bands of love,
and I became to them as one who eases the yoke on their jaws,
and I bent down to them and fed them.
Hosea 11:1-4

Karen
04-11-2010, 05:37 AM
subbing

teamommy
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
As well as man that have been posted, one that helps me is James 1:19-20
"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

Also the verse in my sig, a vision of what I want to be like for my kids (gentle and humble, not putting my yoke on them), to point them to Christ, who is a humble and gentle teacher for all of us.

katiekind
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I love all these scriptures! What an uplifting thread!

Damselfly
04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
1 Thessalonians 2:7,8
But we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children. Having so fond an affection for you, we were well-pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God but also our own lives, because you had become very dear to us.

MudPies
04-12-2010, 06:27 AM
maybe this thread should be stickied so we can find it and keep adding to it?

FebFaith
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I love this thread! I love the Scripture!

Jadeswoman, that Scripture is one of my very favorite verses!:heart

BBL after I've had some time to think.

Beth1231
04-12-2010, 04:58 PM
refreshing to my spirit :heart
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Colossians 3:12

homesteadmama
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Oh, I am LOVING this thread! Thank you for starting it!! I am going to copy and paste these verses to a word doc, then print it out, and tape these all over my house! I sooooo need to be reminded of these right now. :heart:heart

mummy2boys
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
subbing

Tasmanian Saint
04-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Matt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Rom 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

I reckon since I'm the adult, it depends on me a lot. Especially when they're so little, it's basically up to me to decide whether I approach our days and interactions with a peaceful mindset or an adversarial one.

Heb 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin...
Heb 5:1-2 Every high priest is selected from among men and is ... able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness.

So if Jesus is gentle, understanding and sympathetic, how much more should we imperfect parents be?

I've actually been quite amazed since discovering GBD how well it fits with just about any scripture I happen to be reading, whatever the context... God is such an amazingly gracious, merciful God and it's written all over the bible :heart
There is still punitive stuff in there, though, and I'm still thinking that through.

scottie
04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Subbing....
Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.

ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

maybe this thread should be stickied so we can find it and keep adding to it?

YES!

FebFaith
04-15-2010, 02:14 AM
ie:Prov. 24:13 "He who spares the rod hates his son,but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

I've always relied on the fact that the "rod" is like the rod a shepherd used to steer his sheep and not used to beat them into submission. So, my interpretation of the verse is that a parent who does not steer her child toward righteousness, etc hates her child, but she who instills discipline, etc in her child loves him.

Thoughts?[COLOR="Silver"]

:yes

Can Dance
04-15-2010, 02:36 AM
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. :heart

do you like to be humiliated?
do you like to be yelled at?
do you like to be shamed?
do you like to be hit?
do you like to be told you are never quite good enough?

I thought not.

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better. :heart

so basic and yet so hard to do!

Tasmanian Saint
04-15-2010, 03:13 AM
"for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Phil 2:13

Of course, we're not able to directly change our children's hearts, as God does, but we can work externally (playful parenting, setting up for success) and we can bring God's Word to them.:heart

Also, if anyone has interpretations of the standard verses used to back up spanking and the like, I'd love to hear it.
I find it useful when I see verses about 'beating them with the rod' to translate it in my mind as 'drum the Truth into them' - similar imagery that we'd never dream of taking literally :)

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. :heart

I think, if this verse was thought of with every interaction with our children, we would all come out a lot better. :heart

so basic and yet so hard to do!

So true.

Jenn2627
04-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Subbing. :popcorn This is a fantastic thread.

WanderingMom
04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
subbing as well:popcorn

mom2chaney_girls
04-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Great thread. Just what I was needing. :clap

Quiteria
04-18-2010, 09:16 AM
subbing

SilverMoon
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!

motherlyservant
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Galatian 6:1
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently, But watch yourself or you also may be tempted.

This makes me think of how important it is to restore our children gently, and while doing so to not be tempted to give into anger.

ThreeKids
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Another great one in support of GBD, if you ask me. It would not be very loving not to carefully guide our children. If not us, who?

passthemanna
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
subbing

jandjmommy
05-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Subbing....

Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

YES!

Thank you!
Recently there was a discussion on my FB page about spanking and the pro-spanking person ended with a rod verse. I'm posting a few of these in response.

I've also realized that while the Spirit in me is agreeing with gentle discipline, I didn't have specific verses or passages to consult and prove this. Thank you!

subbing

I love this essay--for me it's a great response to "spare the rod" advocates (plus, the fact that "spare the rod spoil the child" is not actually a verse in the bible stumps some!)
http://nospank.net/sagendrf.htm

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Luke 7:47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. (Parable of immoral woman/moneylender but I think of it as big-picture advice: she loves Christ and is therefore forgiven--not forgiven because of an apology, or after punishment or accusation. The second point is not the opposite but logical nonetheless -- without forgiveness/grace love diminishes.)

amyhntr2
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
:popcorn

ValiantJoy07
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Awesome!!!:rockon Copying and pasting all of the references to look up and make up a sheet of my faves to hang on the fridge! :ty
:heart

charla
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Psalm 103:8-14, 17-18
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;
he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children--
with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.

Jeremiah 31:3
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.